Spicy Pickled Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I was reading my daily smoking "news" (SMF). I saw KathrynN's post of pickles. I grew dill cukes this year but had very few. However, I could not surrender the inspiration Kat gave me. So, I made pickled beans.

I started by firing up the old steam canner on the Webber Genesis. It is too hot around here to boil water in the house. The jars I will be using (6 one cup) are inside to sterilize.

While the jars are coming to a boil, I cut my yellow, green and purple beans to length.

Out to the garden for some dill.

When the jars are sterilized, I added 1/8 teaspoon of dried chilies and 2 small sprigs of dill to each jar.

I then stuffed 1 1/4 pounds of trimmed and cut beans into the jars. The recipe only makes 5 jars but I always sterilize an extra just to make sure.

I made a brine of:

1 1/4 cup white vinegar

3/4 cup cider vinegar

1 1/2 cups water

3 tablespoons pickling salt

1 clove of garlic

Put all in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Remove the garlic.

I then poured the brine over the beans.

New centres are applied with the bands and into the canner for a 10 minute process time.

Out of the canner.

And they are done.

Now comes the hard part. The beans have to sit for 2 weeks before eating.

I will post again when I open and taste them.

Pickled beans.  Never thought of that.

They look great and I bet they will taste great too.

Looks great disco! Made some pickle asparagus from chef willies recipe earlier this year. Love pickles veggies!
Thanks, Case. I've never tried asparagus pickled. Dang, another addition to the to do list.Disco

Pickled beans.  Never thought of that.

They look great and I bet they will taste great too.
Thanks, it is my first time making them but a friend has supplied them to me before. I hope mine are as good!Disco

Yummmm......I love it!  I am getting a huge bag of cukes today....and may try to ferment them.  Cant wait to hear what you think in a few weeks!

Kat

Disco

That looks GREAT! I wish I had beans
th_crybaby2.gif

Happy smoken

David

Yummmm......I love it!  I am getting a huge bag of cukes today....and may try to ferment them.  Cant wait to hear what you think in a few weeks!

Kat
Thanks, Kat. I am sure your pickles will be great. I have a friend who ferments dills and other vegetables. They are mighty tasty.
Disco

That looks GREAT! I wish I had beans
th_crybaby2.gif

Happy smoken

David
I wish I could open them and serve them with some pepperoni, smoked cheese and beer for happy hour. Soon.

Disco

Well it has been over two weeks have you tried them yet?? how long did you have them in canner for?
I tried them (I have eaten the first jar already) and they were absolutely wonderful. So crisp, so delicious. There is just a touch of spicy. Way better than pickled cucumber IMHO. They are boiled in the canner for 10 minutes.

Disco

When you process the jars, do you boil them or is the water just hot....just under boiling temperature ?
The original recipe I modified called for it to be simmering just below boiling. I wasn't able to keep it just below boiling and it boiled for the last 4-5 minutes but they turned out great anyway.

Disco

The original recipe I modified called for it to be simmering just below boiling. I wasn't able to keep it just below boiling and it boiled for the last 4-5 minutes but they turned out great anyway.

Disco
Cool...I like green beans that way pickled...we have to adjust for altitude in the South and sometime I cook/boil too long and then they are mushy and get thrown away. If I remember correctly the last time I made some 3-4 mins was max I processed them. We do Jalapenos and salad peppers to,, sometimes dill pickles if I plant the garden with any success.

Because these beans are not heated in the brine, I would recommend at least 10 minutes processing in hot water. Any less and you may have health problems as you are not hot packing.

Disco.

I pour the hot brine over the beans, then seal and back into the hot water,,what do you mean by hot packing ?
Hot packing is when you heat the vegetables in the brine and then pack them in the jars. Cold packing is when you pour the brine over unheated vegetables and then process them. 

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky