Spicy Chicken Thigh Sandwiches. All the rage!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
With the re-release of the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich and the insane stuff people do for them... I decided I wanted to make my own from the safety of my kitchen! :emoji_sweat_smile:

Cook Details:

Date:11/10/19
Meat: Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
Brine: Buttermilk, Spicy Pickle Juice, Sriracha Salt, Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, Garlic Powder, Paprika
Dredge: Flour with the above spices (also mix in a couple tbsp of brine to the flour for extra bits of goodness)
Time: Brined for about 4 hours
Cooker: Pot and Peanut Oil
Temp: 350* for about 7 minutes (2 at a time) until IT of 160* and resting to carryover the last few degrees to 165 ish
Sides: Mac & Cheese - still tweaking our recipe but we are close!

This was a very messy endeavor so I didn't get my normal abundance of pics... But I got a few.

Chicken Thighs in the Brine and ingredients used. No measurements, just went with it.

full

Chicken straight from the buttermilk/pickle bath and into the dredge. I let it rest on a rack for about 30 mins.

full

Into a lovely warm bath of Peanut oil at 350* for about 7 mins

full

Mac and Cheese prior to butter toasting some Panko for the top...

full

Jump Cut to plated due to too much going on.

full

For the sandwiches, I used HEB brand Hawaiian buns (king didn't have the full sized buns available). I buttered them up and toasted in a pan. Who doesn't toast the bun!? A quick mix of mayo and tiger sauce for the dressing. Long sliced pickles for maximum coverage. Side of Mac & Cheese to round it out.

Final Thoughts:

Delicious! Chicken thighs are absolutely the go to for this. So much more flavor and juicyness! Not that breasts would be a bad call at all though... There was a little less heat to the sandwich than I was aiming for. Well, to me anyway. The Mrs. said they were spot on, but I wanted a bit more. They had a great crunch to them and the pickles/spicy mayo were an excellent combo. The butter toasted Panko topped mac was soooo close to perfect. We have been toying with the recipe for awhile now and almost have it where we like it.

Overall it was a great meal and left us in a slight slowed state for the rest of the evening. It is obviously way more effort than drive thru, but I think if the time is available, this route is much better. The wife even said she would stab me to complete the experience! She saw her window and she took it. Not sure how I should read into that?!:emoji_laughing:

I will be doing these again in the future and adding some cayenne to mine to up it a little more, but this was a great launching point.

Cheers Y'all!

Dang,9 of those could start a shootout!
I just had my first one from the drive thru last week.It was delicious but I thought $4.36 was a little steep.luckily I didn't have to expend any premium 9mm.

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Fantastic!!! LIKE!

Thanks. appreciate it.

Dang,9 of those could start a shootout!
I just had my first one from the drive thru last week.It was delicious but I thought $4.36 was a little steep.luckily I didn't have to expend any premium 9mm.

no 9mm needed in my kitchen... yet anyway :emoji_laughing: Thank you.

Nice cook !! Pickle juice brined fried chicken is awesome . Nice work .

Thanks. First time I've added the pickle juice. it was the a really good end result so it will be that way going forward.

Man now that has my mouth watering. Great post and great food!
Thank you. sadly the last of them are gone now. but they will be back!

You may have just introduced fried chicken back to our table. Great write up and mouthwatering pics!

Thanks NB. It's been a bit for us on the fried chicken too. definitely something that needs to be in rotation more! lol

Wow that looks awesome!!! I've never had a popeyes chicken sandwich or even eaten at a chik-fila...but your sandwich would top them all easily!!

Like!

Thanks Xray. I may not be as quick as drive thru, by a long shot haha, but I thought it was worth the wait!

Those look most excellent MN. If we get an Indian summer here I'll have to fire up the kettle and vortex and make up a batch of these. Thanks for the recipe.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris. Doing boneless and skin on with the baking powder on the kettle was another option but I hadn't fried anything in awhile. May be next. Lemme know how it goes if you do!

Definitely a good looking meal!
Nice job!
Al

Thanks Al. also, off camera is my wife eating mac and cheese. Trick is to sneak her some side food while I play with photos! or she would stab me:emoji_laughing:

"Thanks Al. also, off camera is my wife eating mac and cheese. Trick is to sneak her some side food while I play with photos! or she would stab me"

Our wives must be related. She's about halfway done with her meal while I'm still taking pictures of my food for my SMF brethren. She says "I play with my food." :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky