Spices: How old is too old??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
Saw the Sausage Maker has a sale on so I went looking to check my supplies. What I found was many of my spices were 2 or more years old. Some are in seed form, but most are ground. The last time I made things, I was a little underwhelmed with the flavor and vowed to only use new spices to get that extra flavor.

But spices can be expensive, hence the question, How old is too old? How often do you replace your spices??

I remember finding 5 year old spices buried in the back of the cupboard.... (Bad Mark, Bad...... ).

Dont have an answer for you but 5 years is probably pretty new for some of mine. So I guess I dont replace them until they're gone.

I think I read somewhere that most ground spices are at their peak between 0 and 6 months. After 6 months they start deteriorating. Grandma always said give it sniff. If you can't smell it - toss it.

I'm in the same boat . I just went through mine and tossed a bunch of it .
My Son got me a mortar and pestle for Christmas , and I've been using it to do rubs and such . Whole peppers corns , fennel seed , dried pepper flakes . The smell is insane , and a huge difference in taste . I also grow stuff like dill and basil then dry it myself .
1676567953574.jpeg

I used to mix seasons for the sausage I make and then about 15 years ago I got a pack of the 260-B Italian sausage mix from PS Seasonings. Since then I just get my seasonings from them, everything I've tried has been great, better than what I made. RAY

Reactions: gmc2003 and chopsaw
I'm in the same boat . I just went through mine and tossed a bunch of it .
My Son got me a mortar and pestle for Christmas , and I've been using it to do rubs and such . Whole peppers corns , fennel seed , dried pepper flakes . The smell is insane , and a huge difference in taste . I also grow stuff like dill and basil then dry it myself .
View attachment 657940
Old school Rich. I like that. Also very green of you. LOL

Chris

Thanks for the comments/help!!

mortar and pestle
Oh great, another gadget I do not have that I now need.....

PS Seasonings
Thanks. I checked out their website and they have some nice looking products. Might have to try. I am always looking to try new smoking/sausage making flavors.

Grandma always said give it sniff
Grandma always knows best. Following Grandma (Busia for us Polish folks) recipes is a bit more challenging since they say "A pinch of this" or "knead until it is right". And if you didn't do it right, you would get a wooden spoon across the knuckles.... Good times.

Thanks for the comments/help!!

Oh great, another gadget I do not have that I now need.....

Thanks. I checked out their website and they have some nice looking products. Might have to try. I am always looking to try new smoking/sausage making flavors.

Grandma always knows best. Following Grandma (Busia for us Polish folks) recipes is a bit more challenging since they say "A pinch of this" or "knead until it is right". And if you didn't do it right, you would get a wooden spoon across the knuckles.... Good times.
Irish grannies were the same way. They did love their wooden spoons. LOL

Chris

I have several commercial sausage seasonings the the pantry too . That's what I use most to make sausage , but I also buy the larger bottles of seasonings . They seem to last longer , but you get alot more for your money compared to buying the small bottles .

I've heard 0-6 months, too.
I miss Chef Jimmy for threads as these.
He and I had many great conversations and PMs over spices.
I purchase the lesser ones at Walmart, and they get used up pretty quick.
I get as many whole spices as possible and grind myself for immediate use.
We have a Co-op grocery store in MN that is our source for many spices.
Can purchase smaller amounts of less used items.
Yep, Vac pack or put in mason jar. Keeps pretty well.

I think age and quality of spices is the number one reason I have to adjust flavors on recipes. Even true on batch to batch for my own recipes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky