• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

SPG - paprika

imhungrymk

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 29, 2020
What is the ratio you use for you SPG, also do you add paprika?

oldsmokerdude

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2018
Everyone has a different "blend" for their unique taste. I typically use 4 parts course ground pepper, 4 parts kosher salt, and 3 parts garlic powder. Many/most folks will also add 3 parts onion powder.

As far as adding paprika, depends on what I'm smoking. I like to use some on chicken and pork, but not so much on beef.

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
If in a recipe I'll measure it out. If just putting directly on meat then just sprinkle till it looks about right...and hope I don't say ooopppsss! Or something else lol!

Ryan

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Common recipes call for 3 parts Kosher Salt to 1 part Other, including Garlic, Onion, Black Pepper, Paprika, Etc.
I just use 1 part each and adjust when finishing the meat for service...JJ

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
The chart is fine. However, if you go by weight...A Gram of Salt is a Gram of Salt whether its a single tiny Rock or a big spoonful of Powder...Basic conversion 1 1/2 parts Kosher = 1 part Table Salt...JJ

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.