Spatchy on the mini!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Of all my smokers the Mini-WSM's are my goto smokers for the most part. If I'm cooking for a crowd I'll fire up one of the larger ones. I had strayed away from charcoal and wood for a while but have returned over the last couple years. The main reason was inferior smokers that even with mods never performed. I live in a cold, sometimes wet, snowy place in the winter and I don't like to stop bbq'ing or smoking. So I used GOSM exclusively for over eight years. Then I built my first Mini-WSM, them my UDS, then the second mini, all charcoal now year round! Stick burner is in the wish list.

Anyhow on to the smoke simple Spatched Chicken. SPOG plus paprika. Smoker running KB with Pecan and cherry 50/50 mix. Rab the smoker around 325° most the time.

ENJOY!!!!

Man that looks good.  Wish I lived closer I would be there.

The uds burns a couple of days every week...

I found a chicken in the freezer.  Maybe this weekend.

Man, that looks good!  Do you brine your birds?  I brined my last spatchcocked chicken, and I'm still not real sure I liked it, I also over-seasoned it, I'm starting to go back to the basics like you have here.

I have the loins for cb and smoked pork chops to do too in the mes and loin ribs to do too this weekend.

Chickens AND Turkeys on sale this week! I swear Case you are slowly but surely starting to erode my faith in cooking chickens. Hard rule, never cut or pierce a fowl unless needed because it allows juices to flow out. But you are certainly testing my resolve.

Nice looking bird man. They look crisp on the outside, juicy on the inside with that hint of red color that means the smoke has been there, and just look at all that clear juice.

first.gif

Man, that looks good!  Do you brine your birds?  I brined my last spatchcocked chicken, and I'm still not real sure I liked it, I also over-seasoned it, I'm starting to go back to the basics like you have here.

I do not brine chickens, turkey's yes. I like to keep chickens simple, salt pepper garlic and paprika is my goto

Chickens AND Turkeys on sale this week! I swear Case you are slowly but surely starting to erode my faith in cooking chickens. Hard rule, never cut or pierce a fowl unless needed because it allows juices to flow out. But you are certainly testing my resolve.

Nice looking bird man. They look crisp on the outside, juicy on the inside with that hint of red color that means the smoke has been there, and just look at all that clear juice.

:first:

I have never had a dry chicken! The only time I poke them is right towards the end to check temp. This one was at 164* in the thigh when I pulled it. When spatching a bird you don't loose much juice when you cut the back bone out. The high temp smoke is the way to go. Mmmm thinking about the leftovers I'm going to have for lunch, drool!!!

Keep tryin Case...eventually you'll get it right.   Perseverance is the key!

;)   Is the drum up and running yet?   BTW I'm really loving the jumbo mini  aka Jimmy  but my little guy is still my favorite!  ...it's a close one though )))

Last edited:

Keep tryin Case...eventually you'll get it right.   Perseverance is the key!

;)   Is the drum up and running yet?   BTW I'm really loving the jumbo mini  aka Jimmy  but my little guy is still my favorite!  ...it's a close one though )))
OH yeah its up and running! Smoked some cheese in there the other night!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky