Spatchcocking a turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

glinse

Original poster
Jul 10, 2016
If I have a 12 pound turkey I've been told that it would likely take around 5 hours to complete. If I spatchcock the turkey how much time will that typically eliminate if my smoking temp is 250? Any ideas? 

5 hours for a 12 pounder is probably not enough time at 250 first of all and yes spatchcocking cuts a few hours off. get yourself a good meat thermometer if you don't have one and leave yourself some extra time just in case. You can do poultry at 300 and it will actually be better and cut another few more hours off. You will get better skin that way. hope this helps.

I'd be curious to see how it works out, glinse. Turkey is insanely cheap here right now. I just got an 11# one for $5.34. I'm going back tomorrow for another one just to keep in the freezer. At that price I'll experiment. I've never done spatchcock...

Thanks timber jet. I have an electric that only goes to 275 and I'm using Jeff's rub and his most current recipe that he recently posted. The recipe calls for 250 to be the hottest you should set it for. According to that recipe any higher and the skin may burn because of the rub. I'm just trying to cut the time off by spatchcocking the bird. Thanks for taking the time to send me this information. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Thanks for responding back SmokeyMose. If I have time I'll take some pics and post them! Have fun experimenting. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family

Good luck with that turkey.

IMHO, spatchcocking or parting out the turkey is the only way to smoke them.

Al

If I have a 12 pound turkey I've been told that it would likely take around 5 hours to complete. If I spatchcock the turkey how much time will that typically eliminate if my smoking temp is 250? Any ideas? 
Thanks Al. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family

I just smoked a 14 pound turkey a couple weeks ago for a test run as I usually fry them for Thanksgiving. Spatchcocked and 3 hours @ 275 and it was perfect (155-160 in the breast).

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky