Spatchcock style!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAintEasy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
Not only was this my first try for turkey on the pit but o went ahead and spatchcocked that bad boy, used meat church bird bath brine overnight and threw on honey hog rub, set the smoker at 275 and let er eat for about 4.5 hrs with basting butter every 45 minutes. At 160 IT I threw on the homemade glaze and 15 minutes later was ready to eat. Pictures are before and after.

Attachments

• C6267B86-6AE7-4A93-8B4A-105DE4DB0176.jpeg
    C6267B86-6AE7-4A93-8B4A-105DE4DB0176.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DA7A1917-13EA-49E1-8758-48CD5CB275C2.jpeg
    DA7A1917-13EA-49E1-8758-48CD5CB275C2.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 67
That's a bird I would love, if a turkey fan.

Spatch cock is my favorite method for whole bird chicken. Best way to get the thighs cooked out and not kill the breast

Thanks to everyone for the comments, they are very appreciated. As for the glaze I used some honey, Dijon mustard and the bbq rub I put on the turkey, mixed that together, bring to a boil and let it reduce a little then it was ready to roll. Turned out very tasty.

Not only was this my first try for turkey on the pit but o went ahead and spatchcocked that bad boy, used meat church bird bath brine overnight and threw on honey hog rub, set the smoker at 275 and let er eat for about 4.5 hrs with basting butter every 45 minutes. At 160 IT I threw on the homemade glaze and 15 minutes later was ready to eat. Pictures are before and after.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, they are very appreciated. As for the glaze I used some honey, Dijon mustard and the bbq rub I put on the turkey, mixed that together, bring to a boil and let it reduce a little then it was ready to roll. Turned out very tasty.
Do you recall the approximate weight of the turkey?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky