Spatch cock chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That skin missing was getting chomped on when the pic was being taken 
drool.gif

That skin missing was getting chomped on when the pic was being taken 
drool.gif
Hardwater, you have inspired me! I'm gonna try my chicken like that this afternoon. I will only be able to brine a couple of hours though as I want to eat it for dinner. 

If I'm gonna throw it on the grill to crisp up the skin, should I pull the chicken of the smoker at say 160? 

I prefer them brined, but they are good either way. I'd just bring the smoker temp up towards the end, I don't think there's any reason to grill.

I needed to throw it on the grill anyway as I ran a little short on coals in the ECB and when the IT was 152 the smoker was down to 218 and sinking fast so I put it on the grill at about 360 to bring it up to temps. I could have left in on a few minutes longer as the skin was still a little tough, but the stomach won the battle. I saved half to heat back up tomorrow! 

The chicken was moist with good smoke flavor. I used pecan and apple chunks. Full belly, my work here is done! Thanks for all of your inspiration, input etc. 

250 for 1.5 hours, raised up to 300-320 the last half hour.  The giant klondikes needed a little longer, but everything else was perfect.  The skin was crisp, best I've done myself.  Only coming off a bite at a time. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky