Sparky The UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2009
Hendertucky, Nv.
Here's my new smoker, take that neighbors.... Since I got busted with the Fire Smoker UDS I had to build a electric one to be compliant. I was gonna buy one but I love that drum smoker just to much, so here is Sparky. I got the heating element from Cabelas, it's made to convert a ECB into a sparky. I was really surprised at how great it ran. I checked it a few time with my Taylor digital therm and it ran 235* at the lid. I put some ceramic pucks on the bottom to help hold heat. I put 5" bolts to raise the element from the bottom. I used a sealtite connector for the powercord and put some feet on it. I used a chunk and some chips of hickory and smoked a spatchcock cornish game hen for a break in, two hours and it was done at 160* and was crispy skin, I can't explain that.  Actually I burned it in the night before, spray it down with canola oil and burned a few chunks of hickory to season it. The weber 17" fire grates fit perfect for grilling grates. I was gonna camo paint it but it already looks nasty after one smoke so black it will be. Still need to make a therm holder and add a ball valve, other than that it's done.

228a6b43_30gallondrum.jpg

c0b3793f_feet.jpg

7b745963_powercord.jpg

f5d33637_lid.jpg

59758ccb_heatingelement.jpg

d35b36b3_woodtray.jpg

609c51db_smoking.jpg

7dc4783b_CGH.jpg

Last edited:
Great job man. that is looking real good and it gets them off your A$$ too

Great idea and nice job!  Glad you found a way around the rules so you can still get yer' smoke on!   
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Last edited:
oh you built a whole new one i figured you would convert your other one, looks good, now was that temp with a water bowl in it or without? and how did the wood smoke?

oh you built a whole new one i figured you would convert your other one, looks good, now was that temp with a water bowl in it or without? and how did the wood smoke?
Since I have a door on my wood burner I didn't want to mess with that one, it works to damn perfect. So I built a new one, 30 gallon. I'm still using my water pan but dry so it dont drip fat on the heater. I tried it with water on a burn in and I had condensation city, not good. The reason it works in my fire UDS is it must burn off the humidity. The smoke started out a little strong so I cracked the lid open a bit. I believe the problem was no intake air. I didn't want to drill a hole and not have it work but now realize I need some air flow, so ball valve it is. A few mods an on to my next smoke.

it never ceaces to amaze the mindsets of some people in "authority"  i'm looking at your balcony with concrete floor, stucco on block walls, iron railing    i guess thats really a fire hazard!  cant have a grill out there.!   probably an insurance rule where someone caught a fire on a wood balcony owned by the same corp that owns your place and they made a blanket rule no more grills on balconies

i would buy wood by the cord and run that new baby daily with lots of moss in it for maximum smoke!

anyway the new unit looks great and keep up the qview

ok cool I though man that element looked big in a regular 55 gallon drum, thats why it was a good fit being a smaller drum.

Great Job Meateater, I like it.

Now how in the world did that fine looking bird come out with crisp skin???? You really have me thinking here.

Second thing I'm thinking about is this smoker I picked up for 20 bucks should have all the parts I would need for the same 33 gal build like you have just done. No special reason to build one other then cause I can. And I really really want crispy skin chicken.

If I missed it I apologize, how did it taste?

it never ceaces to amaze the mindsets of some people in "authority"  i'm looking at your balcony with concrete floor, stucco on block walls, iron railing    i guess thats really a fire hazard!  cant have a grill out there.!   probably an insurance rule where someone caught a fire on a wood balcony owned by the same corp that owns your place and they made a blanket rule no more grills on balconies

i would buy wood by the cord and run that new baby daily with lots of moss in it for maximum smoke!

anyway the new unit looks great and keep up the qview
Rick, a neighbor on my back side put a pot on the stove and fell asleep about six months ago and set off the fire sprinklers. Fire trucks, fire marshalls, city of henderson, corp. yahoos.... yeah they ruined it for all. No one bothered me before that. I'll just master this sparky, ain't noone gonna kick me down.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Great Job Meateater, I like it.

Now how in the world did that fine looking bird come out with crisp skin???? You really have me thinking here.

Second thing I'm thinking about is this smoker I picked up for 20 bucks should have all the parts I would need for the same 33 gal build like you have just done. No special reason to build one other then cause I can. And I really really want crispy skin chicken.

If I missed it I apologize, how did it taste?

I have no explanation for the crisp skin, I really dont know yet. I marinated it with ginger teriyaki and yoshida mix for 24 hrs and tossed it on the grill. That was it, no more, no less. I'm baffled at that one.
icon_eek.gif
 It was crisp and moist, I'm still baffled.

Wow Meateater, 

You didn't waste any time, and it works Great already too !

One thing I gotta say though:

We want Camo!

We Want Camo!

We Want Camo!

Bear

Wow Meateater, 

You didn't waste any time, and it works Great already too !

One thing I gotta say though:

We want Camo!

We Want Camo!

We Want Camo!

Bear

LOL, I think I'm gonna do it the way you said with khaki, brown and green camo over a black base. It shouldnt show my grubby hand prints that way. Thanks Bear.

LOL, I think I'm gonna do it the way you said with khaki, brown and green camo over a black base. It shouldnt show my grubby hand prints that way. Thanks Bear.
I knew I could do it---Had you talked into it the other day.

Now don't go slacking on me again. This thing will really be neat in Fall CAMO apparel.

You don't have to go for the Guinness Book "UGLY" Record.

Your neighbors will love the sarcasm of Camo.

You could hide the electric cord & keep a stack of kindling around too.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky