Spareribs smoke at 225 but drumsticks smoke at 300. What's the best way to approach this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MooseSpectacles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
New Jersey
I'm hoping to make some spareribs and drumsticks next weekend, but the ribs cook at 225 for 5 hours and the drumsticks cook at 300 for a half on each side, obviously both internal temperature dependent.

What's the best way for me to approach this cook? I was thinking cook the ribs for 4 hours at 225 and then the last hour to bring the temp to 300 and let the ribs finish early while the drumsticks cook at their correct temp. What do you guys think and recommend?

I see nothing wrong with your plan as you want to have crispy skin on the chicken. Nothing wrong with cooking the ribs at a higher temp and finishing them sooner. If needed pull the ribs and let them rest a bit while the chicken crisps up.

Reactions: 912smoker
I think your method would work, but you may also want to smoke everything at 225, then finish the chicken on a hot grill.
Al

Reactions: Sowsage
That might work out just fine. If you do it that way, make sure the chicken gets put under the ribs. Another option would be to run the ribs, then take them off and wrap them in a couple layers of foil, a couple towels, and then stick them in a cooler to hold while you do the chicken at 300. The ribs will be fine doing this, however any bark you have on there may soften just a bit.

I agree with Al, do it all at 225 and finish the chicken off on a hot grill to get the skin crisp.

You smoke the ribs for 4 hours or so then finish them in the oven, crank your smoker up to do your chicken. Just an other option

That might work out just fine. If you do it that way, make sure the chicken gets put under the ribs. Another option would be to run the ribs, then take them off and wrap them in a couple layers of foil, a couple towels, and then stick them in a cooler to hold while you do the chicken at 300. The ribs will be fine doing this, however any bark you have on there may soften just a bit.

You don’t need to put the chicken under the ribs. If it were me I would put the chicken above the ribs, so as the chicken drips fat it will baste the ribs.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky