Spare Ribs & Hobo Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
The day before our big snow storm hit I decided to barbecue some ribs, and for a side I made some hobo potatoes, (aka Boy Scout potatoes, or campfire potatoes) which are a mix of potatoes, onions, garlic, butter and about anything else, and cooked in a foil pouch.

Starting off on the kettle at around 275° indirect. The rubs were Cimarron Doc's, and Birds & Bones.
OK8q4G4.jpg
f70vMmM.jpg
Pit time was around 3 hours with a few sprays of apple cider vinegar.
Wrapping was with a little buter, some peach jalapeno BBQ sauce and a little pinot grigio wine, and this step took a little oven an hour.
z4NVTen.jpg
I did par boil the potatoes to shorten the baking time.
Vn6gFun.jpg
fjRimnI.jpg
PvN7t1m.jpg

Good looking plate, I mean how can you go wrong with ribs and potatoes!

Dave

Looks good thirdeye.

Point for sure
Chris

Great looking plate. It's funny how it took me 20+ years to realize that 2 or 3 ribs is a serving, not 8 to 10. 😁

Reactions: thirdeye
The ribs and potatoes look really good, thirdeye! I, too, am glad you got it in before the storm! Something to hold you over!

Wow! Those are incredible! I’m glad you were able to get a quick smoke in before the snow hit! Just incredible! Had to be tasty!

Nice job!! The ribs look about perfect but I'm loving those potatoes!! Thinking I might just have to give those a run real soon. Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Not sure how I missed this, but those ribs look like competition quality to my untrained eyes! Awesome!
I made some hobo potatoes, (aka Boy Scout potatoes, or campfire potatoes)
I haven't had those in forever, well probably since I was in the Scouts. Thanks for reminding me...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky