Spare ribs a different way...QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Monroe, NC USA
Dear SMF Folks:
I have received a recipe from Jeff a couple times now for spare ribs cut up and rubbed before cooking. so i thought i would give that a whirl...

Here is what i did

I cut up the individual bones and rubbed them with Jeff's rub
IMG_20200516_051916.jpg

after an hour of rub they have a nice color!
IMG_20200516_054920.jpg

Some RO Briquettes from Walmart (on sale now)
IMG_20200516_052704.jpg

putting some hickory in the bottom of the WSM and getting it ready for charcoal...
IMG_20200516_052742.jpg

a lit chimney of charcoal in the middle of the WSM with unlit charcoal and wood on the outside
IMG_20200516_053708.jpg

Smoker up to temp and the ribs are on...a small rack of beef ribs sneaked onto there...
IMG_20200516_055207.jpg

My new InkBird Therm next to the smoker giving me temp updates!
IMG_20200516_055220.jpg

ribs coming along
IMG_20200516_073334.jpg

looking like ribs are done!
IMG_20200516_083225.jpg

A little sauce on the end to make them sticky and bam! great ribs!
IMG_20200516_083856.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Did cutting them up shorten the cook?
It did that pic of the ribs most of the way done was 2 hrs in. total it was 3:15 . i ran 225 for the first 2 hours then i ran about 300-325 for the last hour which is prob why i charred the rub. if i had 225 the whole way it prob would have been a good 4 hrs, i wish i had cut them a little more even because some came out FOTB and some bite through. but all tender!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Looks fantastic ! I knew a couple old timers that did ribs that way . Salt pepper and lemon juice .
Yours look awesome .

Reactions: phatbac
Looks fantastic ! I knew a couple old timers that did ribs that way . Salt pepper and lemon juice .
Yours look awesome .
Thank you so much for saying that!
Im eating a couple now for an early lunch they are delicious!!!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Those are some great looking ribs! Nice job. I seen them on his site this weekend, thought it was interesting. Just did his butter maple glazed turkey legs yesterday I need to get posted.

Ryan

Boy howdy Aaron, when I saw ribs and you in the same post I was sure you were breaking in the new Lang. I never tried cutting a rack up like you did, they look wonderful, Like! RAY

So what do you think? pro's and con's of separating them first? I can see it cooking faster.

Thanks everyone for the nice words and looks at the qview!
Jeff has great recipes, wish i could try them all but i highly recommend the newsletter its a bright email twice a week makes me smile every time i get it!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Nice job there Aaron. Good report on something new to you. I do riblets and they are small so it is a different way of learning verse doing a whole rack.

Warren

Reactions: phatbac
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky