Souvide 45 day dry aged steak.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DocSteve

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
Tried dry aging. Did 45 days.
-Souvide at 127.9F for 3 hours.
-Seared at 1550F.
Melted in my mouth. Worth 45 days? Not really in my opinion. I can defrost a steak and do the same thing w/o the wait.

Attachments

• 20200629_234112.jpg
    20200629_234112.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200629_233254.jpg
    20200629_233254.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200629_232643.jpg
    20200629_232643.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200629_175201.jpg
    20200629_175201.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 48
Looks very tasty Doc. Great meal.

I also found dry aging didn’t really add any extra taste. Unless it is really fresh and aged it seems to work.

Looks very tasty Doc. Great meal.

I also found dry aging didn’t really add any extra taste. Unless it is really fresh and aged it seems to work.
Ya it was just something that I wanted to try doing

I agree Doc. I dry aged three whole boneless standing rib roasts, 28, 35,then 45 days. Didn't notice any difference in flavor or texture, thought it was a waste of time, money, and meat. That bark that forms on the exterior has to be trimmed off and tossed. Oh, your plate looks wonderful, Like! RAY

Last edited:
I've wet aged whole packer briskets and rib roasts 45 days from the packed date and it was tender and easy to remove the rib roast membrane for dino ribs. The beefier flavor change with dry aging is more noticeable after 45 days and then the funkier mustier flavor after 60 -75 days. You lose 25% mass from water loss and then the outer desicated meat that's cut away and pitched but is less with bone in dry aged and all the fat cap left on. It's the waiting and wondering if 45 days is too long but is usually not long enough.

I'm new in the SV game but I thought to keep things safe, you have to cook 130 or above no?

Never mind, I just looked it up. Looks like anything over 3hrs should be cooked at least 130 to be safe

Steak and all looks great to me! I almost tried dry aging but held off. these reviews lead me to continue holding.

SV and a sear works SO good and its SO easy.

thanks for the post Doc!

All the talk about the dry/wet aging/SV but IMO the real magic of a great steak is the sear. The hotter the better and Doc mentions 1550F. In pic 3 I see a handle that might be for a sear burner. Northfire Inferno? I get real close to pulling the trigger on one but have infrared sear burner in my grill so not sure if it is a real upgrade. Local high end restaurant uses a salamander and their steak blows mine away and I make a mean steak.

I'm new in the SV game but I thought to keep things safe, you have to cook 130 or above no?

Never mind, I just looked it up. Looks like anything over 3hrs should be cooked at least 130 to be safe
There's a heating table and a pasteurizing table. If you use the heating table for a few hours then sear its like grilling a steak. The outside where the bacteria are have been killed but the center hasn't been pasteurized. If the steak wasn't punctured its void of foodbourne pathogens anyway. But if you were at 130 for the duration needed for the thickness of the steak and pasterized it then quickly cool it in the fridge in a bowl of ice water you have 28 days to figure out when you want to SV heat it at 129 then sear and eat it. If you have a couple roasts like a chuck and an eye of round at 130+ you can pull the EOR after 32 hours and eat it and after 48 pull out the chuck and ice water bath it in the fridge for weeks later without freezing.

All the talk about the dry/wet aging/SV but IMO the real magic of a great steak is the sear. The hotter the better and Doc mentions 1550F. In pic 3 I see a handle that might be for a sear burner. Northfire Inferno? I get real close to pulling the trigger on one but have infrared sear burner in my grill so not sure if it is a real upgrade. Local high end restaurant uses a salamander and their steak blows mine away and I make a mean steak.
I have a Kalorik, which is essentially a home countertop salamander.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky