Southern Pride DH-65 Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The switch is installed cutting control power to the relay. This allows you to switch low power. If you try to cut the heating element power to the coil you would need to add switch that can take high power. There is already a high power relay there. The SC200 is the same unit without a steam coil. The control is a little different. Yes it controls the temp perfect as always. The only time I dont use the steam is when I dry smoke bacon or fish. Personally I like the way the meat comes out of this unit. I have friends that compete using wood only. I have tasted lots of authentic bbq. Many times briskit cooked in wood smoker has some waste. The bark on some of the briskit cant be consumed.You have to cook it to death to get it tender and once you do the outside gets charred.

Side by side I have never had a person choose competition (wood only) made ribs over ribs made in this unit. Maybe they dont have the perfect smoke ring, but you cant compete with electric smokers anyway. Competition cooking is a whole different taste. A competitor who has won some state championships has told me many times, the average person does not always prefer the amount of smoke and char on that wood smoking makes.

I do see the benefit of cutting it out on command. I will try to do some more cooking with it off. I will still fill the water pan for moisture.

I assume you know what the difference is between stage 1 and 2 cooking right? stage 1 has heat, steam, and wood smoke on. Stage 2 is steam and wood only. If you shut off the steam you have to cook with stage 1 only.

Do you have the schematic? You can get it on southern pride's site.

You need a single pole, single throw, 125 volt toggle switch. You should be able to get it at any hardware store or home center.You disconnect two wire and put the switch inline...that's it.

Above I described where to put it. If you cant figure it out let me know I will post a schematic.
Thanks for your post... from ten years ago. I did not know "I assume you know what the difference is between stage 1 and 2 cooking right? stage 1 has heat, steam, and wood smoke on. Stage 2 is steam and wood only. If you shut off the steam you have to cook with stage 1 only." Very helpful. I have bypassed the water/steam coil with a 30 amp double pole, single throw illuminated rocker switch; works great. I was wondering why the menu didn't allow programming a hold temp; makes sense this would be a steam hold. Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky