South Florida FNG #2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Haha...yeah, me and guys coined it Beerfield after many drunken days and nights at the "S-turn".  You know, the beach area just north of Hillsboro and A1A.  (JB's, Oceans 234, Brus, Kahuna's, and the list goes on)

Where was the South Florida Gathering held?  Sebring?  Not quite S. Florida. 

Also, just to give a heads up, I'm moving to St. Petersburg, FL at the end of March...I will be leaving my "hood". 

Welcome to SMF glad you can join us.  We are big on Pics and love to help everyone out.  Remember the only question that is dumb is one not asked.  You will not find a friendlier place to talk Que on the web.

You are going to fit in just fine.

Haha...yeah, me and guys coined it Beerfield after many drunken days and nights at the "S-turn".  You know, the beach area just north of Hillsboro and A1A.  (JB's, Oceans 234, Brus, Kahuna's, and the list goes on)

Also, just to give a heads up, I'm moving to St. Petersburg, FL at the end of March...I will be leaving my "hood". 

Palmdale...we tried to find a cenralized place for people on the west coast, east coast and central florida as well.  it's a place call Fisheating Creek

Welcome Steve:

I am a newbie also. Found ths site 2-3 wks ago. Have thoughly enjoyed all the info & ideas.

I love to smoke & grill. Sure you will enjoy it also.

I lived just a block in from that corner in 1981.  None of those places were there.  It was the patio bar at the Holiday Inn for hanging out.

Is the Whales Rib still there? Used to live in West Boca and Beerfeild (love that) was our beach of choice. We used to fish the pier alot also.

@nimrod...Yes, the whale's rib is still there as far as I know. I'm not in that area too much. The beach there is terrific but for fishing I headed a bit further south. Pompano Pier and Anglin's (Commercial Blvd.) were my destinations for saltwater growing up (other than the Helen S drift boat). I do mostly freshwater these days.

@Scooper & RippinNTearin....Bru's is fun. Best wings in S. FL IMHO (hot & grilled). I usually hit the one in Coconut Creek though. Much easier to get a parking space. Back in the day we hung out at the patio bar at the Howard Johnson's further south on A1A, at Red's Bar by 5 points in Wilton Manors, The Stardust on Powerline and a few others :o)

Last edited:
Nimrod, Whale's Rib is definitely still there!  Great fried food...their fries are awesome!  I'm just glad all the "hype" has died down since it was featured on Diner, Drive-ins, and Dives.  You couldn't buy a seat!  Now, its pretty much back to locals and people "in the know".

Roadkill, Best wings in S. Florida...Wings Plus in Coral Springs!  I've grew up eating them for as long as I can remember...  Know what...I'm getting some on my way home from work!

Scooper, yeah I remember when the only place to park was at the meters by the volleyball pit (i.e. JB's) and Oceans was a gas station!

P.S., I plan on doing another all nighter brisket this weekend if I've got time...stay tuned!

Hey Thanks for the local updates. It's been awhile since I was down in Deerfeild. Fished all the piers back in the 70's when Juno was still a wood piling peir. Many nights at the Whales rib too. Lived in W Boca in the early 90's so we always frequented the Deerfeild beach area. Brings back some good times.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky