South Dakota smokin brothers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dforbes

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
We have a wedding to attend on September 17Th in Springfield South Dakota. After the wedding we intend to spend the week in South Dakota and make a vacation out of it. If anyone has any Ideas of sites to see, restaurants you just have to try or any other helpful information it would be greatly appreciated. So for I intend on spending a day in Deadwood, and visiting Mount Rushmore. I am starting to plan the vacation this weekend so the sooner the better. I have know about the wedding for a while but didn't think I was going to make it or I would have started planing sooner. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dennis

Do not miss out on the Badlands National Park!  Takes about half a day (could be less, but don't rush it).  Lots of great formations and colors in the soils, hikes, photo ops, vistas.  Just outside the northeast entrance to the park is a sod house/pioneer prairie homestead (authentic) well worth the admission and time (about and hour).

The town of Custer is a good place to wander around and stretch your legs.

Needles State Park near Rushmore provides and awesome drive with great vistas and narrow tunnels (and wild donkeys and bison).  Maybe 2 hours or so.

If you can stay for the lighting of Rushmore in the late evening, don't miss it --- it was beautiful!  The walks up near the base of the mountain are pretty impressive.

And DON'T miss Crazy Horse!  Pay the admission and take tour the complex (at least 2 hours, 4 is better).

My wife says don't forget Wall Drug, a huge world famous drug store (you'll see tons of billboards for it along I 90).

Something we couldn't do because we didn't know about it was tour the missile silos near or at Ellsworth AFB.  You have to make reservations ahead of time to see them. 

Sturgis is also one of those places you'd like to say you've been to.  We drove right up main street the day before it was closed for bike week (motorcycles EVERYWHERE!).  Bike week is right around now, so check the dates.  If you're into motorcycles, go during bike week.  If not, you might want to save this for another time; it is crazy crowded!

As you can tell, we loved SD!  Lots to do and see, and we can't wait to get back there!  Cheers!!!!

Thanks for the great information. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I will print your message out and route it into the plan. I especially like that you gave me info on how much time to budget at these sites.

Thanks again,

Dennis

I guess we live here so we may take some things for granted, however if you are planning to be in the hills, the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs is pretty good.  If you are in Deadwood, they have a lot of Crab Leg and Prime Rib Buffets, the one in the 2nd floor of the Gold Dust is the best otherwise the Deadwood social club is good as well, it's up a staircase right by Saloon #10.  Rapid City has Sanfords which makes great and unique sandwiches and has lots of beers on tap to choose from for dining option.  Many people really enjoy the prairie dogs so stop and see a prairie dog town.  I know there is a commercialized one on I90 near Wall, however you can probably find one of these in Custer park arounds the roads as well. 

We live in Pierre and there generally is a nice walleye bite here in Sept if that's your thing.  Or Salmon up by Whitlock Bay near Gettysburg that time of year.  If you are near Gettysburg, Whitlock Bay Supper Club serves what is in my opinion some of the best prime rib anywhere on Saturday nights, otherwise Bob's Resort a mile away from this serves great sirloin steaks with a great view of the river.  Unless you are a huge eater, the steak sandwich is probably big enough as it is about 18 oz.  You can get bigger.  You will be here in the beginning of preserve pheasant hunting season, if you've never pheasant hunted in SD you are missing out. 

Wall Drug is a real tourist trap with not much to see in my opinion time is better spent in the badlands.  Mitchell has the corn palace where they decorate the outside with different scenes each year and it's all done in colored corn.  Not a lot to see inside but definately worth a drive by.  The rest stop on I90 by Chamberlain has a decent Lewis and Clark display with a great view of the river.  It's not a destination, but a nice stop as you are driving right by and I think it's free.  If you are driving by Vivian stop at the Junction for a peice of pie they are known locally for great pies.  Sioux Falls has the Sertoma Butterfly Gardens, and Falls Park.  If you like gardens and such, Brookings has McCrory Gardens that SDSU manages that is good as well.  The Ram Pub has decent prime rib or sandwiches or Cubbys Sports Bar has great foor as well in Brookings. 

The rally is over today in Sturgis so the main hooplah will be gone by the time you get there and aside from the motorcycle museum, this really is just a normal small town.  Devil's Tower in Wyoming is an option in that area as well.  If you have anyother questions let me know I'd be happy to help.  Enjoy your vacation. 

Wow Dennis,

After reading those two replies, maybe you better take two weeks in SD !!

Bear

Bearcarver, I think your right. But I don't think I can take 2 weeks at that time of year. May have to plan 2 vacations.

Rstr Hunter,

Thanks for the information, It will be very usefull when planing our vacation. It is really nice to have opinons of people who know where to go than to just go into it blindly.

I agree that Wall drug is a tourist trap, but the wife mentioned it while I was typing.  I wouldn't bother, myself -- but some people like the kitschy stuff.  I also thought of mentioning Devil's Tower in my earlier post -- which we saw on the same trip -- but I thought my list might become overwhelming.  Worth the effort, for sure.

Hope you have a great trip!  Post pix!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky