Sous Vide Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomga

Original poster
Jan 9, 2023
So I wanted to create a more tender steak, and thought that using the sous vide method first would be ideal. I took it in its vacuum seal bag frozen (without salting) due to convenience, and then sous vide it at 126F for 2 hours. I immediately took it out, pat it down, and I did notice at the time that it was oozing juices. I then proceeded to grilled it at 1500F, and the salted it in the end. It ended up being allot drier overall which I wasnt expecting. Maybe that is because I didnt thaw and salt it before sous vide? Also, should I let it sit at room temp in its vacuum bag before hand so that it has a chance to reabsorb the juices before grilling? Any advice on a procedures from any experts out there on for making the "perfect" steak would be appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
If it was froze I would do 130° for 3 hours minimal then if you have a 1500° grill your talking a minute or 2 per side and thats it.

How long did you grill?

Reactions: chopsaw
If it was froze I would do 130° for 3 hours minimal then if you have a 1500° grill your talking a minute or 2 per side and thats it.

How long did you grill?
Thanks for the info. On the grilling, 60 secs on each side. I have an inferno grill which is a top IR 1500F, so it sears extremely quickly

also depends on the thickness of the steak too. If its to thin then 60 seconds will fry it.

Brian

Reactions: PPG1
also depends on the thickness of the steak too. If its to thin then 60 seconds will fry it.
Agreed. I sear 2" thick stake on hot screaming CI pan for no longer then 1 min each side.
The same, 2" frozen stake I keep in SV bath for four hours: one hour to thaw it and three hours to cook it.

Here's a hint for cooking sous vide steak that I picked up somewhere. Cool the steak completely before searing. It allows you to sear a little longer without changing the cook temp. Also make sure the steak is patted dry before searing.

Joe

Reactions: bauchjw
I've cooked many steaks, chops, and even roasts sous vide from the frozen state without any issues. As a rule of thumb, I simply add 25% to the projected cook time had the item being cooked been thawed.

You didn't mention the thickness or type of steak you cooked, but, for example, had it been something such as a thawed 1" rib eye, I would normally cook that for 2 hours at 125F. If frozen, I would extend the cooking time to 2.5 hours. Your 2 hour cooking time probably would have left the meat a bit under done, but it shouldn't have dried out.

Personally, and this is only a guess, I think your culprit came from the sear you did. Meat, which is made up of 75% water starts losing some of that water as it's being cooked, and the amount of water dispelled is a function of the IT of the meat being cooked, and the length of time of the cook. The rate of water loss is fairly linear up to 140F. Beyond that, the loss rate becomes exponential.

Searing a pre-cooked steak that's already had some water loss for 2 minutes at 1500F is, to me, a recipe for disaster. I'm not surprised that it turned out to be a lot drier that you expected.

Better luck next time.

Last edited:
dls1 dls1 good advice there.

And as a side note..Love your avatar. I got to drive a R8 several yrs ago as part of a supercar driving experience here in Memphis. Have been in love with them ever since.

Jim

dls1 dls1 good advice there.

And as a side note..Love your avatar. I got to drive a R8 several yrs ago as part of a supercar driving experience here in Memphis. Have been in love with them ever since.

Jim
Thanks, Jim

Yea, it's a great car and I love it as well. It's a 2018 model that I got the same year as a CPO with around 3,500 miles. Outstanding performance and it drives like it's on rails. I've never had an issue with it but I'm starting o sniff around for a replacement since the warranty expires later this year. Haven't found anything I like better yet.

• Love
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky