Sous Vide recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jeff Wright

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
Southern Missouri
Ok, so I keep seeing all these posts about these. I never heard of them until I joined here, but seeing everyone happy with them I guess it might be time to get me a Christmas present:D

There is such a wide variety on Amazon, from in the $40's to a couple hundred. Not wanting to break the bank, but not wanting to fail, anyone have any recommendations on a reasonable one to try? Maybe even be able to find one on sale if I knew what to look for.

Thanks in advance!

I have the Anova and it works flawlessly and couldn't be easier to use.

Joule is more expensive, but has a better app (if you plan on using the app)

Get one that has no "default" time limitations... Some sous vide machines turn off at 24 hours... not good... get one that has above average temperature control.. +/- 2-3 degrees is pretty poor.... You don't need blue tooth or any wi-fi stuff... It's a set it and forget it for up to 72 hours... no programming necessary...
I have the original Anova... It's accurate... no complaints at all...

Sous Vide.JPG

you don't need blue tooth or any wi-fi stuff

You definitely don't "need" those, but they can come in handy. I use it all the time to remotely start a cook midday that will be ready for dinner.

You definitely don't "need" those, but they can come in handy. I use it all the time to remotely start a cook midday that will be ready for dinner.

So you leave meat in room temperature water all day ???? Just how does that work ???

FWIW.... I didn't see your post before I posted my post... I was filling my post out and looking up stuff when you posted.... My reply was NOT aimed at you....

Last edited:
So you leave meat in room temperature water all day ???? Just how does that work ???

No, you fill the container with 50/50 ice/water. Anova has an ice water bath mode. It runs the pump (no heat) every few minutes to circulate cold water, and will send you a notification if temp rises to 40F or more. If it does get above safe temp you need to start SV. But in my experience, it's never come close to that - always stays below 38 even after 6 hours. You just need to make sure you've got enough ice, and it helps to wrap a blanket around the container to help insulate.

Last edited:
No, you fill the container with 50/50 ice/water. Anova has an ice water bath mode. It runs the pump (no heat) every few minutes to circulate cold water, and will send you a notification if temp rises to 40F or more. If it does get above safe temp you need to start SV. But in my experience, it's never come close to that - always stays below 38 even after 6 hours. You just need to make sure you've got enough ice, and it helps to wrap a blanket around the container to help insulate.

That's a cool feature... Thanks for sharing that.... Dave

I have Anova ,, 800 watt BT and just bought the 900 watt wifi . Very happy with the Anova .
Has a removable clip ,,, gives you options . I sometimes use the app , but it's not needed . Has the controls on the head of the unit . I think some other brands are only controlled by an app . No buttons on the unit .

Thank you all for the feedback. My research also points at the Anova. Seem you all just confirm it. Looks like I will be keeping my eye out for good Christmas sale price. I look forward to jumping into this foray!

I went simple, this was recommended by a forum member to me.
I got it today and immediately had to play with it.
Did some Salmon with it, just to get it wet. I was impressed with it.
Since the wife was making Pot Roast, and our pot was preoccupied, I got my 2 gallon plastic pail and tried that.
Seemed like it heated up steady, beeped at me signaling it reached temperature, then the countdown timer started.
The smoked Salmon was from my bag in the freezer.
Interesting gadget. Just don't accidentally stick your finger in 130 degree water. It Hot!:emoji_fearful: :emoji_scream:

I've had an Anova 800w for a couple years and love it. Here around Christmas Anova had the nano for $65 shipped. Picked one up for the heck of it and so far it has been pretty impressive.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky