Sous Vide Pork Loin Roast Experiment - Results were so-so

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
We buy whole pork loins and use it for a variety of dishes. But since I had a new Inkbird sous vide, we have experimented on a number of meats. Prime rib was awesome...pork loin roast, although juicy and flavorful, is just not a very exciting cut of meat to eat sliced. We should have made a batch of gravy to go with it. We probably won't be doing this again.

But in the spirit of sharing mistakes, even though this one is not horrible, I have a few pics to follow.

This chunk of roast was originally intended for jerky...but a cheap meat sous vide experiment happened instead.
IMG_6512.jpg

Seasoned with Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Salmon Seasoning...don't laugh! This seasoning is wonderful on pork.
I lightly shrink-wrapped it and popped it into the sous vide for 6 hours at 144F.
IMG_6513.jpg

6 hours later, we seared it in the broiler for about 4 or 5 minutes...but it really wasn't necessary.
IMG_6525.jpg

Done. It was definitely very juicy and tasted very much like it was marinated in the seasoning...but the lack of marbling makes this cut of meat still seem a bit dry. It definitely needed a good batch of gravy to swim in.
IMG_6526.jpg

That looks like it's from the sirloin end, which is very lean. I like to use that for Canadian bacon, or for slicing and pounding for schnitzel. For roasting or SV, try to get something from the blade end of the roast which has more fat and flavor.

Reactions: floridasteve
That looks like it's from the sirloin end, which is very lean. I like to use that for Canadian bacon, or for slicing and pounding for schnitzel. For roasting or SV, try to get something from the blade end of the roast which has more fat and flavor.

That's why I use it for jerky or shred it for other dishes. There are definitely better cuts of meat for the sous vide.

Before doing this, I did search for other posts on pork loin roast in a SV and there were very few. The ones that were posted were cooked to very high well done temps. My guess is, considering the lack of posts, results have been underwhelming and they didn't post a "failure"

Well Eddie, I'm a bit late to the party but am doing some catch up. Personally I tend to agree that pork loin can be a bit dry due to a lack of marbling but if done properly can still be a great meal. I see absolutely nothing wrong with what you did here. Looks very appealing and appetizing to me. I'd certainly enjoy sitting down to a plate of it....with or without the gravy.

Robert

Well Eddie, I'm a bit late to the party but am doing some catch up. Personally I tend to agree that pork loin can be a bit dry due to a lack of marbling but if done properly can still be a great meal. I see absolutely nothing wrong with what you did here. Looks very appealing and appetizing to me. I'd certainly enjoy sitting down to a plate of it....with or without the gravy.

Robert

Thanks tx smoker tx smoker ... Bottom line for us is there are other ways that we like pork loin roast to be prepared even better. It was still enjoyable trying something new in the SV.

The picture sure looks good . I've never done a pork loin SV . I think you've inspired me to try one .
Thanks for posting .

Reactions: uncle eddie
I see it frequently that it doesn't matter with SV but I digress. Rubs need time to do their thing. Ideally a few days to a week depending on the size or inject if there is no time.

I stole this idea from Rich (swear he SV'd) but a dry brined loin with Canadian steak seasoning is CRAZY good and insanely close to a fancy steak house pork chop I had and was one of the best things I ever tasted. Seared on the grill after SV.

zwiller zwiller & daveomak daveomak
Thanks for the ideas but I doubt we do it again.
We love this pork loin roast recipe though...pork loin roast in a crock pot all day on low, shredded, mixed with cream of mushroom soup and whatever else suits our fancy, over noodles.

Reactions: chopsaw
I was inspired by this thread and have 3 loin projects now: city chicken with cubed loin brining in buttermilk for tomorrow's dinner, a few thick chops dry brining in canadian steak seasoning, and a hunk of loin dry brining in Lawry's, TSPP, and Accent to be SV'd midweek. Gonna try daveomak daveomak longer SV run. I think I will give the chops 24 and roast 48.

uncle eddie uncle eddie My wife would go NUTS for that crock meal! THANKS for sharing. I also put some Salmon Magic in my Amazon cart...

Reactions: uncle eddie
I was inspired by this thread and have 3 loin projects now: city chicken with cubed loin brining in buttermilk for tomorrow's dinner, a few thick chops dry brining in canadian steak seasoning, and a hunk of loin dry brining in Lawry's, TSPP, and Accent to be SV'd midweek. Gonna try daveomak daveomak longer SV run. I think I will give the chops 24 and roast 48.

uncle eddie uncle eddie My wife would go NUTS for that crock meal! THANKS for sharing. I also put some Salmon Magic in my Amazon cart...
So how did the SV loin turn out?

Turned our excellent thanks. CSS the clear winner. chopsaw chopsaw idea for pork and CSS is OFF THE HOOK. Might be better than steak. I tried a few variations and "the latest and greatest" is some ground mustard along with the CSS (mostly so I can say it's my idea and not Rich's) LOL.

Standard MO is typically a week. If I had to guess what is going on I would say day 1 and 2 the salt moves in and juice comes out of the meat but in the next few days the juice is reabsorbed. Like I say tho if time is tight, inject.

Reactions: floridasteve
Standard MO is typically a week. If I had to guess what is going on I would say day 1 and 2 the salt moves in and juice comes out of the meat but in the next few days the juice is reabsorbed. Like I say tho if time is tight, inject.
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky