Sous vide on a pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
I posted last week bout times/temps for SV on a pork butt and formulated a plan. This PB had been hiding in the freezer since last fall. Thawed and trimmed the pork butt,I left some fat but took off about a pound of back fat (fed it to the visiting ravens).
IMG_1119.JPG
IMG_1120.JPG

Rubbed down and vac sealed for a 22hour bath at 165*.
IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

I then added some more rub and put it in a preheated oven at 300* for an hour and a half.
IMG_1125.JPG

I had saved the juice from the bag and froze it to remove the fat. I added the juice to a batch of JJ's finishing sauce and added this to the shredded pork. It was tasty BUT I miss that smoky flavor you get from a good nap in the smoker. I had added a little liquid smoke but it wasn't noticeable at all. I went this route as I wasn't going to be home all day and the SV was doing the work in my absence. Pic below is the finished product ,doesn't look so good in a clear glass bowl . :) All and all I was happy with the results for a nonsmoked butt. Thanks for looking ! CM
IMG_1126.JPG

Glad it turned out well for you. I wonder if you smoke it for a few hours first then SV if that would help with the lack of smoke flavor

Reactions: crazymoon
Glad it turned out well for you. I wonder if you smoke it for a few hours first then SV if that would help with the lack of smoke flavor
B, That was the plan but the fish have been biting so I didn't have time to smoke first and too lazy to smoke afterwards ! :)

Looks good to me! Put a little BBQ sauce on a bun, throw on the PP with a dollop of Cole Slaw and you'll hardly miss that smoke.
I have an unopened bottle of Liquid Smoke I've been thinking about trying with sausage but haven't tied yet. Another month or so and I can have real smoke...

It was tasty BUT I miss that smoky flavor you get from a good nap in the smoker. I had added a little liquid smoke but it wasn't noticeable at all. I went this route as I wasn't going to be home all day and the SV was doing the work in my absence.

Under those circumstances I see the advantage of the SV and although I like roasted pork, I too like some smokey back flavor. My fastest pulled pork shortcut is using a pressure finish. I'll smoke a butt until 160° or when the color is nice. Then cut into 3 pieces into a pressure cooker (or canner) with some porky broth for 70 minutes.
If I cut the butt into pieces before smoking it saves more time and yields more bark, but you need to be mindful of the rub. Too much can make the final product salty because nothing escapes the pressure cooker.

I never SV'd a Butt, but it looks kinda pale like most Pork does after an SV.
I'd be happy with some Rolls & some BBQ Sauce. I'll guarantee it will taste Awesome!!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks for sharing...SV definitely has some applications but this one is not high on the list.

I'm curious if you think it was better in the SV or if you would have done it in a crock pot?

Thanks for sharing...SV definitely has some applications but this one is not high on the list.

I'm curious if you think it was better in the SV or if you would have done it in a crock pot?
UE,IMHO I believe it was better from SV than if I had used a crockpot if only for the fact that I knew exactly when it would be done for dinner ! :)

Reactions: uncle eddie
I’ve done pernil style pork in the Sous vide and it comes out tasty. I think since tje perjil marinade has a lot of flavor anyways the smoke isn’t missed. Not to mention most pernil for cubano sandwiches isn’t made over fire but roasted in the oven.

UE,IMHO I believe it was better from SV than if I had used a crockpot if only for the fact that I knew exactly when it would be done for dinner ! :)

Exactly!!
IMHO, I believe most meals done in a Crockpot are severely over-cooked.
You don't get that with SV, unless you try real hard!

Bear

It is still eatable, try adding some more of the liquid smoke to a small piece. Nice try
Richie
Richie, That is a good idea but we ate it all already . It wasn't bad ,just doesn't compare to a smoker Pork butt.

Richie, That is a good idea but we ate it all already . It wasn't bad ,just doesn't compare to a smoker Pork butt.

Not much you can do about that, other than what you're already doing.
This is why I always hated that Mrs Bear doesn't like Smoke on many things. (Bacon & Ham)

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky