Sous Vide NY Strip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemans

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2013
Jackson New Jersey
160DB60E-4464-41B7-9A6C-01C7BA32E108.jpeg
So I found these beauties on sale at my local market.. They are prime and very nice. So I vac packed them with course salt, pepper and chopped garlic..
SousVide at 131 for 3 hours and then I seared them off. Awesome you gotta try this..

Hey guys,

I must be blind but can't seem to find where to post a new message.

Can anyone tell me how sous vide is any better than an electric smoker at 130 or so for 2-3 hours wrapped in foil?

I realize sous vide temp is controlled more accurately but I would think electric smoker with temp probe wouldn't be hard to accomplish similar results.

On the fence for sous vide and the more I think about it, just doesn't seem much different than electric smoker.

Thx!

Two completely different things.. with a Sous vide you can put a steak in it for 2 hours at 135 and it will be med rear and all you have to do is sear it. But you can leave it for 5 hours and it will still be med

What about putting in electric smoker or oven wrapped tight in foil at the same temp and time? Wouldn't that give a similar affect as long as the temp is consistent?

Or smoke ribs for 3 hrs at the usual 220F, wrap in foil tight for 6 to 8 at160F?

Thx!

And the density of water more easily/quickly transfers heat to the meat and has no over shoots. Heating with less dense air and peaks and valleys of temps that average let say 131° you have cooked over your desired IT with an over shooting peak. When heating over 130° you can pasturize the steak as well for a certain duration and hold your perfect desired IT.

What about putting in electric smoker or oven wrapped tight in foil at the same temp and time? Wouldn't that give a similar affect as long as the temp is consistent?

Or smoke ribs for 3 hrs at the usual 220F, wrap in foil tight for 6 to 8 at160F?

Thx!
With ribs that is intact muscle not mechanically tenderized/punctured and rub having salt/sugar and or acids alcohol you can put the ribs in an oven above 140° (I don't know the min temp to cook at for intact meat) for 16 hours or whatever till tender but no bark and super juicy. Or sear after smoking/wrapping/cooking. This 40-140 in 4hrs guideline is about meat that is not intact.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/40-to-140-in-4-a-guideline-and-what-to-consider.270191/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky