Sous Vide/Grilled Pheasant with Balsamic & Apricot Pepper Jelly Glaze, Mushroom Wild Rice, and Roasted Summer Veggies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
This dish is one I have made before. Though fairly simple to put together, it hits on many levels and the sauce has a depth that knocks the tender perfectly cooked pheasant out of the park!

IMG_20200926_192302.jpg

To Cook:
Thaw 6 Pheasant breasts and trim of all fat, rinse well then pat dry. season with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Vac seal on pulse with gentle vacuum pressure. Place in Sous Vide @ 140-145*F for 4 hours. One hour out-prepare the sides. When about 30 minutes from being finished in the Sous Vide, prepare the Glaze:

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Apricot Pepper Jelly
pheasant juice from sous vide vac bag, about 1/8 cup
1/4 tsp. fresh finely chopped rosemary
1/2 tsp. fresh thinly chopped basil leaves
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
4 T. unsalted butter to finish

Add balsamic and jelly to sauce pan. Heat on medium to reduce balsamic to 1/4 volume and incorporate the jelly. When Pheasant breasts are ready for the grill, remove vac bag from sous vide, place breasts on a sheet pan and coat lightly with a little olive oil. Pour juice from bag into sauce pan. Add fresh rosemary and basil, then heat on low while you put pheasant breasts on a blazing hot grill for 1 minute per side (could torch them if you have one). Remove breasts to sheet pan and allow to rest 5 minutes while you finish the sauce. Reduce volume of sauce to half until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and finish the sauce with butter. Check salt and pepper. Serve with sauce and sides, Pinot Noir or a good Shiraz recommended wine...

Last edited:
Far out and fantastic man!
Sounds like a damned good gourmet level meal without the microscopic portions and artistic plating.
I'd love to have broke bread with ya at this meal.
Thanks Chile! I keep saying it, but Sous Vide is a real game changer (no pun intended) for wild game meat! So tender! I've had chicken that was tougher! I'm all about the flavor, need to work on my presentation for pictures...I just plate to eat, not for pics....

Reactions: forktender
Bookmarked ! ! !
Always looking for another way of doing pheasant. Sounds and looks excellent. Thanks...

Thanks Chile! I keep saying it, but Sous Vide is a real game changer (no pun intended) for wild game meat! So tender! I've had chicken that was tougher! I'm all about the flavor, need to work on my presentation for pictures...I just plate to eat, not for pics....
LOL... And I keep saying I gotta get a Sous vide machine.
And I'll take your plating and portions any day.

I keep saying I gotta get a Sous vide machine.
Yes, you do need a sous vide machine. I have the Anova 850watt with removable clamp. That along with a coleman stacker PAcker ice chest, and you are good to go. All in it's about $100-120 depending on if you catch the anova on sale...

Bookmarked ! ! !
Always looking for another way of doing pheasant. Sounds and looks excellent. Thanks...
Thanks Winterrider....I highly recommend you try it!
Looks and sounds fantastic!
I’d love to have a plate of that!
Al
Thanks Al. Going through the freezers making room.. Hunting season is almost here again!

This dish is one I have made before. Though fairly simple to put together, it hits on many levels and the sauce has a depth that knocks the tender perfectly cooked pheasant out of the park!

View attachment 464763

To Cook:
Thaw 6 Pheasant breasts and trim of all fat, rinse well then pat dry. season with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Vac seal on pulse with gentle vacuum pressure. Place in Sous Vide @ 140-145*F for 4 hours. One hour out-prepare the sides. When about 30 minutes from being finished in the Sous Vide, prepare the Glaze:

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Apricot Pepper Jelly
pheasant juice from sous vide vac bag, about 1/8 cup
1/4 tsp. fresh finely chopped rosemary
1/2 tsp. fresh thinly chopped basil leaves
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
4 T. unsalted butter to finish

Add balsamic and jelly to sauce pan. Heat on medium to reduce balsamic to 1/4 volume and incorporate the jelly. When Pheasant breasts are ready for the grill, remove vac bag from sous vide, place breasts on a sheet pan and coat lightly with a little olive oil. Pour juice from bag into sauce pan. Add fresh rosemary and basil, then heat on low while you put pheasant breasts on a blazing hot grill for 1 minute per side (could torch them if you have one). Remove breasts to sheet pan and allow to rest 5 minutes while you finish the sauce. Reduce volume of sauce to half until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and finish the sauce with butter. Check salt and pepper. Serve with sauce and sides, Pinot Noir or a good Shiraz recommended wine...
Your officially invited to our hunting camp to impress us all with your awesome cooks!! Spectacular in my view!

Reactions: indaswamp
No Pheasant around here but 9 Wild Hen Turkeys keep coming around my Chicken and Duck Coops.
The Sauce sounds great!...JJ

Holy cow that looks amazing, I miss our wild pheasant population it's pretty much nonexistent these days.

That's what it's all about flavor not fluffy posed pictures of food is just weird. I actually laugh at some plated food pictures and think about how many pictures they went through deciding on which one looked best. Hell I'd have a plate plowed before their photo shoot was over. I can't imagine telling my family or guests to wait I'm almost done snapping pictures. Last I checked you can't eat pictures of food unless you're a goat or a hamster.:emoji_laughing:

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky