Sous Vide and the Danger Zone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What is the point of par-cooking a burger SV. For one, burgers, that are not worked too hard, are tender. A 1 inch thick 8oz burger cooks med/rare and juicy, in 3-4 minutes per side on cast iron or grill. Seared and perfectly cooked in one step. I just don't see what there is to gain other then having raw burger in the Danger Zone, 2.5 hours, while soaking in 130°F water...JJ

Makes for a juicier burger if you heat it up slow then sear for 45-60 seconds per side, and they're evenly done all the way through regardless of patty thickness.

Not my personal favorite method of cooking burgers but close.

I will have to give it a try. The SV Burger is going to have to be amazing to be worth the extra cook time...JJ

If you want to get really technical you're supposed to let the burgers rest for 5 minutes after you pull them from the water bath to compensate for the heat applied when you sear them. If you sear them immediately you are going to go past your desired internal temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky