Sourdough Starter Feeding

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I had my starter in the fridge and neglected it for a month.

I poured off the hooch and took 1/2 cup of starter from the jar and into another jar to revive and feed it.

add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup all purpose flour to the starer.
IMG_4664.JPG

Mix in the new feed very good.
IMG_7682.JPG

IMG_4080.JPG

Wipe off any starter around the inside and top of jar
IMG_4229.JPG

Now put the fermenting cap on. Store at room temp. In about 8-10 hours you should see bubbles and the starter has doubled.
Remove 4 T of the starter and discard. You may have to re feed it again in a couple days before you make bread.
IMG_1571.JPG

I had my starter in the fridge and neglected it for a month.

You might want to consider the method below that I use. Lasts in fridge for up to 4 months without feeding, is always ready to go, and you don't discard anything. I've been using it for a few years and it the only method I will ever use. I make the levain the evening before I am baking and in the morning it's ready to make dough.

No Muss No Fuss Starter | The Fresh Loaf

Thanks but i have about 0 room for another canister to sit around in the 5th wheel.
Good link though.

Thanks but i have about 0 room for another canister to sit around in the 5th wheel.
Good link though.

Another jar? Not sure what you mean. I have only 1 jar of starter that I keep. It's a small 8oz jar that typically lasts 3 months and I make bread from it weekly.

You might want to consider the method below that I use. Lasts in fridge for up to 4 months without feeding, is always ready to go, and you don't discard anything. I've been using it for a few years and it the only method I will ever use. I make the levain the evening before I am baking and in the morning it's ready to make dough.

No Muss No Fuss Starter | The Fresh Loaf
I ended up letting mine sit 6 months by accident. Would not come back. I just feed once a month now usually few days before bake. Seems to be working. I may give that another go. I do have some of it dried in freezer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky