Soppressata salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininthegarden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Rocky mountians
A0AA06B8-69A4-4B58-A50C-B594815582DA.jpeg
Hi all
I have been working on a soppressata recipe for a while now but never really got what I
Was looking for until now. This recipe is a semi-dry version of salami so anyone can make it.
It greatly surpassed any previous attempts or even my own expectations. A very nice salami for pizza, sandwiches, etc. If anyone is interested I can post a recipe.

Cal

Looks good from here. I for one would like to see the recipe.

4260B153-680C-41EA-B530-E7C303154CC1.jpeg
574B2FD3-FC5A-49FD-93CB-9D559F94350F.jpeg
Hi again
Here is a photo of the finished product ready for the freezer, and one of a whole bunch of meats
ready for deep freeze. To answer atomics question, I wouldn’t call it a summer sausage but yes it is cooked.
It is a variation of the classic dried soppressata but it takes much less time to make. So here is the recipe:

SEMI-DRY SOPPRESSATA

3# pork butt fat separated from lean meat
5tsp sea salt
4TBL fresh minced garlic
1TBL whole peppercorns
1TSP ground black pepper
4TSP dearbol or cayenne pepper
1TBL soy protein concentrate
1 1/2 TSP corn syrup solids
3/4 TSP pink salt or cure #1
6 TBL red wine

Grind the lean meat tru the 1/4 inch plate and then grind the fat tru the 3/4 inch plate. Mix in the seasonings,
let rest in refrigerator 24 hr. Stuff into 4” (or whatever size you like) fibrous caseing. Place on a sheet pan and
then into a 170 deg. Oven, uncovered for 6 hr. Let cool then place in refrigerator uncovered for 5 to 7 days
turning once or twice a day. You will feel the salami becoming firmer every time you handle it.

This is not a true dried salami but it comes close, and takes much less time to make.

Cal

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks great. Bet it tastes great.

Soppresatta is air dried, uncooked. Cooked/hot smoked sausages are summer sausages.

Significant difference in flavours, texture.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky