soot in my smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveyhunter

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Dubuque, Iowa
This has never happened to me before .and I am wondering why I got black soot in my smoker and over my meat disgusting what did I do wrong terrible black smoke any help would be appreciated

Daveyhunter

Yeah clean it out best you can, reseason it, and watch your fires. If it burns to hot or makes the wood billow white smoke it can create that nasty creasote.

What type of smoker are you speaking of? (wood burning or charcoal w/SFB, charcoal/propane vertical)

I think the most likely cause for your soot build-up may have been from burning meat drippings. My charcoal kettle has quite a bit of soot gathering on the dome vent (exhaust) in the last couple of weeks. I have had a few grease fires in it lately, and that's when I noticed the soot.

You may have cooked something with high fat content and maybe you normally have a drip/water pan under the meat, but recently didn't use one? Or, you may have meat drippings leaking into your SFB, if that's the case, possibly caused by smoker not setting level (sfb end of smoker is too low).

Eric

When I cooked a pork loin a couple of weeks ago on my kettle grill I noticed a lot of black smoke when doing the sear. The high fat content may be the case.

What are your vents set at? This can cause creosote to build up too if they are closed off too much.

It sounds to me that your top vent might be closed or was closed for some time and you have a build up. Now I would check your vents or the underside top of your smoker and see if you have some build up and then just clean the thing and always make sure that your top vent is wide open.

The basic clues have been covered so far, so take a long look at the procees of that last smoke.

It only happened when the fire was just about and I put some more apple wood on it I dont see how that could happen but it did ,the fire was just about and when I put wood on black smoke every where maybe I should have soaked my wood I don't know before that I had just cleaned the smoker always wored out great before.

I just built it a couple years ago and it worked fine very good really ,I was thinking that maybe it is because I let the fire go darn near out then iI put the wood on that is when it happened.

Either (A) Green wood or (B) Fire was too cold and that creates black soot in pits .

You built the cooker , you use the cooker so to me that takes out any questions about proper venting of the pit .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky