Soon to be joining the WSM club

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

figjam

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
St Louis (area)
Well, after a few years using my ECB (with mods learned here) it is starting to crap out on me.  I got some unexpected money for Christmas from my grandfather, so I made up my mind to take the plunge and get a WSM.  So then I had to decide whether to get the 18" or the 22".  The ECB was fine for my needs as I typically only cooked for my family of 5 but occasionally made stuff for bigger get togethers.  So, it seemed I didn't really need the extra space that the 22" would give.  I might regret this decision later on, but for now I can live with it.

So, I ordered up the 18" version on aimtofind.com and found one for only 249.99 with free shipping.  It is scheduled to arrive on Monday.  YEAH, BABY!

I dont think you will be disappointed with either of those. I know the folks who have the 22 love the bigger size but dont think I have really heard complaints on the 18. Congrats

Congrats on making a great choice. That Weber will last a lifetime with just a little care. You're going to have some fun with that smoker. It's all good my friend. 

icon_cool.gif
Congrats on your new smoker now let's see it working.

Yea i ended up buying a 22.5 wsm and finally got to use it yesterday, and man this smoker is amazing.. it kept steady temps for 10 hours no problem, and that was with me not doing anythang to help it out..

THE NEW PHONE BOOKS ARE HERE!!!!

FedEx delivered this beaut yesterday.  It was easy as hell to set it up.  Grand total of 10minutes with only a flathead screwdriver and a wrench.  This thing is big compared to my ECB. I'm glad I decided to get this size and not the 22".  Looks like there will be plenty of room for my usage.

I love the size of the water pan compared to the ECB size, but I don't like how the water pan is so close to the bottom grate.  Doesn't look like it will be very easy to add more water to the pan on those long smokes.  Anyone got any tips for doing this?

In the main unit, there were 2 small holes on the bottom in the lip.  What are these for?  They appear to be covered up when I set it on the bottom section.

Not sure what I will cook first on it, but it will have to wait until Sat no matter what I decide.

FedEx delivered this beaut yesterday.  It was easy as hell to set it up.  Grand total of 10minutes with only a flathead screwdriver and a wrench.  This thing is big compared to my ECB. I'm glad I decided to get this size and not the 22".  Looks like there will be plenty of room for my usage.

I love the size of the water pan compared to the ECB size, but I don't like how the water pan is so close to the bottom grate.  Doesn't look like it will be very easy to add more water to the pan on those long smokes.  Anyone got any tips for doing this?

In the main unit, there were 2 small holes on the bottom in the lip.  What are these for?  They appear to be covered up when I set it on the bottom section.

Not sure what I will cook first on it, but it will have to wait until Sat no matter what I decide.
Grats on the new toy! Don't worry about the water pan being close, it really doesn't present any problems. As for filling it, you probably won't have to, but if you want to be safe go down to your local big box store (KMart, Wallmart, Home Depot, Lowes, ect.) and get a 1 Gallon plastic watering can with a long thin spout. You can fill it up with a gallon of hot tap water, open the side door and pour it right into the water pan - super easy and simple.

Not sure what the two covered holes are that you are refering to.... I don't remember seeing those on my 22.5".

Grats again! Can't wait to see some pictures... you will really like the WSM.... just remember they run a bit hot for the first dozen smokes or so. So make sure you catch the temps on the way up and damp it down before it gets away from you.

Grats on the new toy! Don't worry about the water pan being close, it really doesn't present any problems. As for filling it, you probably won't have to, but if you want to be safe go down to your local big box store (KMart, Wallmart, Home Depot, Lowes, ect.) and get a 1 Gallon plastic watering can with a long thin spout. You can fill it up with a gallon of hot tap water, open the side door and pour it right into the water pan - super easy and simple.

Not sure what the two covered holes are that you are refering to.... I don't remember seeing those on my 22.5".

Grats again! Can't wait to see some pictures... you will really like the WSM.... just remember they run a bit hot for the first dozen smokes or so. So make sure you catch the temps on the way up and damp it down before it gets away from you.

I'll have to take a couple of pics before my first use to show you what I am talking about.

Regarding it running hot the first couple of times, it has me thinking about doing some chicken for the first cook since I won't mind if it does run a bit hotter.

Yeah chicken is a great first cook. But then you also have that whole second rack to do something with.... lol. Think I did some leg quarters and some spare ribs for my first run, couldn't pick just one thing.... lol.

Yeah chicken is a great first cook. But then you also have that whole second rack to do something with.... lol. Think I did some leg quarters and some spare ribs for my first run, couldn't pick just one thing.... lol.

I am actually thinking about just doing a bunch of chicken.  Doing 1 or 2 whole chickens on the lower rack, and a bunch of wings on the top rack.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky