Something wrong with my pellets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good idea, Fueling! Just gotta come up with more room of where to put it though. I was talking about trying the Lumberjack pellets sometime, well lo and behold sometimes a problem just works itself out. Recently a Bomgaars store opened up in our town and just checked it out today. Lumberjack pellets were there for 12.99 for 20 pounds, but get this...9.00 on sale. Got a bag of 100% Hickory and Cherry to try out. Ka-ching. They also sell Bear Mountain. Man, life is good.

but get this...9.00 on sale.
Scratch that. Just looked at the ticket again. They were only 7.00 for a 20 lb bag. Man, they also had 100% Pecan, Char Hickory, some blends. I think they go off sale today. Its hard to not go and get more.

Just my two cents but if there is any chance moisture got into the bag, pellets can ruin and become sawdust then can harden back up and clog up your auger so be careful there because that can lead to a long (unfun) repair. I made similar mistake and got overzealous and bought a huge bag and this happened. Didn't realize but they got damp and cost me to repair it. Now only but the smaller bags and use a resealable plastic container with moisture control packets.

I've been using Pit Boss pellets that I got from Wal Mart for a few years now. Thats one thing...is Pit Boss junk? I was all excited when I got my MES and Amazen smoker that I decided to buy a few ginormous (20 lb) bags. Haven't gotten CLOSE to using them all. I think they are going on 3 years, maybe 4. Well, I follow the instructions and nuke either full pellets or dust in the microwave for a few minutes. Light er up, and let it burn for a few. Put it in my mailbox mod and get billowy white smoke it seems for some time. Doesn't thin out. I wonder if I got too much of a row burning at once? Maybe I'm just being paranoid too and it is actually alright.

How long do you let your pellets burn in your mailbox and filter through before adding food?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky