Something other than Maverick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

funk

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
It there a better thermometer than the Maverick?  I have one and the range is terrible, and I know others have experienced it.  It is useless to me because of where my smoker is and where I keep the remote unit.  It is only about 30-35 ft away in the kitchen, but has a couple of walls and it never reads right.  Can anyone suggest something else?  I know there is a modification to do, but I would rather spend the money for something good.  Thanks.

Check out Todd Johnson's post on the new one - They fixed the issues on the range

It there a better thermometer than the Maverick?  I have one and the range is terrible, and I know others have experienced it.  It is useless to me because of where my smoker is and where I keep the remote unit.  It is only about 30-35 ft away in the kitchen, but has a couple of walls and it never reads right.  Can anyone suggest something else?  I know there is a modification to do, but I would rather spend the money for something good.  Thanks.

I have the same thoughts... I got one from Amazon and it only had a range of about 5 feet. I exchanged it for another. The 2nd one got about 10 feet. That's two in a row???? Reminds me of what my dad used to say "fool me once....." I'm going to return this one to Amazon and I'm very hesitant to buy an upgraded version. I really like the idea of it, both in the dual probes but the alarms when the temps go high or low.

I can testify that the mod worked great for my old 73. It gets me thru metal siding and also a metal exterior door. My driveway is the same level as where the computer is and between me is the siding and door along with the front wall of the house being a concrete half wall.

No way would it work before the mod, now it is excellent.

I should have my new one tomorrow maybe, and I can test it out as well and post the results.

I can testify that the mod worked great for my old 73. It gets me thru metal siding and also a metal exterior door. My driveway is the same level as where the computer is and between me is the siding and door along with the front wall of the house being a concrete half wall.

No way would it work before the mod, now it is excellent.

I should have my new one tomorrow maybe, and I can test it out as well and post the results.
Is the modification hard to do?

There are two mods.  One for the transmitter and one for the receiver.  They are not hard to do if you have some basic soldering experience and a bit of dexterity working with small parts.  Follow the instructions on the mods carefully and you shouldn't have any problem.  What you have to be careful about is don't man-handle the parts when you take them apart.  Just be gentle.

Is the modification hard to do?
Sorry funk, I missed the post.

No the mod was not hard at all, I did the transmitter vs the receiver. I didn't want the extra antenna on my receiver.

This is the mod directions that I used and had no trouble at all. I did go by harbor freight and buy a 3 dollar soldering iron and a tiny bit of solder.

My wire is slightly heavier then what the directions stated but it was all I had and I didn't find out till I was back from the store.

Can't remember if the directions said this or not but its what I did.

1 to make the hole for the antenna I got the wire hot and melted it thru the plastic vs drilling a hole.

2 when I was finished I used a utility knife and got the blade hot to make a final pass and make sure the hole around the antenna was sealed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky