Some tips for even smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CTnewbie

Original poster
Jul 31, 2021
Just smoked my first brisket in masterbuilt 30 pro. The fatty part of the brisket was delicious. The more lean part was a bit dry (but still enjoyable). Any tip to get more even results?

Reactions: JLeonard
What was the IT of the flat when finished? Did you rest in a cooler for an hour? Often dry flat is undercooked. It’s a bit counterintuitive.

What was the IT of the flat when finished? Did you rest in a cooler for an hour? Often dry flat is undercooked. It’s a bit counterintuitive.
203 was the IT. Rested for 45 min. Maybe not enough.

203 was the IT. Rested for 45 min. Maybe not enough.
45 minutes should have been fine. Sometimes you may need to take it to 205 before the flat proves tender. Honestly it depends on the quality of the brisket too. Sometimes flats are hard to keep moist. You can try injecting with broth and / or tallow.

I had the probe first in the fat and it felt like it was getting hot too quick. Changed to the flat midway.
Ok. Thanks for the tips and quick reply. I will push a bit harder on the flat IT and leave enough time for rest. Much appreciated jcam222!

Reactions: jcam222
Caution...If you Inject, make sure you Babysit your smoker until the meat IT reaches 140°F or have UnderTemp Alarms set. Injected meat can grow internal Bacteria in a dead smoker...JJ

Just smoked my first brisket in masterbuilt 30 pro. The fatty part of the brisket was delicious. The more lean part was a bit dry (but still enjoyable). Any tip to get more even results?

When you say dry - did it crumble when you sliced it or did it hold the slice?

Dryer and crumbley usually indicates a little overcooked. While clean slice and dry leans more towards undercooked.

Chris

Temp is ONLY a guide, the true test for done/tender is a probe. The feel in many tested places on the flat should be like that of going into a jar of peanut butter. I've had briskets get tender anywhere from, 195-210º. Every brisket can be different, ergo temp is not what to use. Once verified as tender, pull and let rest open the on counter for 10 minutes in order to stop any carry over cooking, then wrap and place in a cooler with towels to rest for 2 hours.

Yea I agree with Shultz, temp is only a guide, depending on the grade & just the overall piece of meat the best way to see if it is done it multiple probing all over it.
After a couple of briskets, you will get the hang of it! And BTW, the fatty part or point is always going to be tender & juicy. It’s pretty hard to screw up a point. The flat is the real challenge.
Al

When you say dry - did it crumble when you sliced it or did it hold the slice?

Dryer and crumbley usually indicates a little overcooked. While clean slice and dry leans more towards undercooked.

Chris
Thanks. It was holding the slice.

Yea I agree with Shultz, temp is only a guide, depending on the grade & just the overall piece of meat the best way to see if it is done it multiple probing all over it.
After a couple of briskets, you will get the hang of it! And BTW, the fatty part or point is always going to be tender & juicy. It’s pretty hard to screw up a point. The flat is the real challenge.
Al
Yes the flat is the challenge. I am glad it was still enjoyable for my first one!

Temp is ONLY a guide, the true test for done/tender is a probe. The feel in many tested places on the flat should be like that of going into a jar of peanut butter. I've had briskets get tender anywhere from, 195-210º. Every brisket can be different, ergo temp is not what to use. Once verified as tender, pull and let rest open the on counter for 10 minutes in order to stop any carry over cooking, then wrap and place in a cooler with towels to rest for 2 hours.
Thank you. Super helpful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky