Some Salamis are finishing...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So today was transfer day for the Sopressata from the accelerated drying chamber to the maturing chamber. Had to shuffle pieces around and while I was at it, checked each piece and inspected the chamber walls for bad mold...not that I suspected to find any, but good practice nonetheless.
IMG_20220416_050008.jpg

Piemonte along the left wall, Guanciale top along the back, Nduja low in the back, Soppressata Investida in front of the Nduja, Berkshire Culatello middle with plastic lid cover (to protect top from direct airflow), Soppressata front right, Ventricina Teramana low front left.

Last edited:
I pulled both the Lonzino Piacentina and the Coppa di Parma. Both had a weigh loss around 34.25% and both stopped losing any more weight for the last 2 days. I cut the coppa in half and as expected had a lot of fat out. Being that this was a wild hog coppa, it was always a possibility this would occur because of the varied diet of the pig.
IMG_20220416_040516.jpg

IMG_20220416_040534.jpg

I have them both wet down with water and wrapped with clear wrap to make casing removal easier. Will rinse with wine and vac seal to equalize as there is slight case hardening from the fat out slowing down moisture diffusion to the surface, i.e. the grease clogged the pores and moisture channels to the surface.

But, I do expect the pieces to be edible, just a little softer than I was shooting for, and once moisture redistributes, they should be fine. Will wait at least 2 months to sample...will know more then. They do smell really good so that is a reassuring...

Last edited:
Rough math, everything in the chamber is generating 203g. of water vapor every day...Lot of moisture coming out of the pieces. Half a percent or less per day per piece doesn't sound like much until you add it all up.

Inda, morning.... I love reading your threads... Thanks much... I'm sure the members love reading them also... GREAT tutorials on how it's done... Kudos to you my friend...

Reactions: indaswamp
Inda, morning.... I love reading your threads... Thanks much... I'm sure the members love reading them also... GREAT tutorials on how it's done... Kudos to you my friend...
Thanks to you guys on SMF for the recommendation to get The Art of Making Fermented Sausages by Stanley and Adam Marianski. Hands down the BEST resource for someone just getting started into making salami; the book covers damn near everything you need to get started.

Reactions: JC in GB
Chamber update...

I moved the Napolitana to the chamber after fermentation once the pH drop to 5.19 and moved the Campania from the accelerated drying chamber to the maturing cabinet after 12% weight loss. pH has stabalized to 5.25...
IMG_20221021_162714.jpg

I put the Modenese in the accelerated drying Cabinet for a week until it loses 12-15% weight loss.

Will cold smoke the Napolitana next week when the next cold front rolls through. That will give the casings time to dry out to accept the smoke.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky