Some pork shoulder. what to do..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

I got about half a pork shoulder in the freezer. I used half a bone in for fried rice so it's weird cuts and shapes. Not really lookin to spend 5 hours on the bbq with it so thinking crock pot. Any ideas? Carnitas? Pulled pork? Any ideas would be cool thanks

Brown it first, then crock pot with salt, pepper, cumin for some carnitas pulled pork. I pull shred it, toss in some fat and brown up just a bit with garlic salt, cumin, bit of chili. On corn or small flour tortilla.
Of all Mexican dishes, I like pan fried pulled pork, i.e. carnitas, the best! Breakfast tacos, tacos, meat on a plate, with bbq on a bun... so many uses!

I have these often because I carve the copa muscle out for various things. I just freeze what’s left then pull when needed and either grind or go into the pressure cooker for simple pulled pork. This can be used in many different directions. It’s fast and delicious.

Reactions: negolien
I'd grind it and make sausage, but I'm curious to see what other recipes are suggested.
no grinder so that's out nice idea though. I thought about getting one but i already got so much cooking crap i gotta put half under my bed lol

Crock pot it then shred and make a PP shepherds pie. Instead of using creamed corn use niblets and a garlic cheddar sauce.

Chris

Carnitas is always a great option!
I also cube up weird cuts and shrink wrap/freeze them to use for sausage at a later date.
But carnitas sounds good right now...I would go with that, and warm tortillas, fancy refried beans, need some pico to...

Winter is coming.

Toss it on the charcoal grill with a chunk of wood. Temp isn't important. Leave it there for an hour or so. Then cube it up and make Chili Verde on the stove or in a crockpot. Why? Because...

Winter is coming.

• Haha
Winter is coming.

Toss it on the charcoal grill with a chunk of wood. Temp isn't important. Leave it there for an hour or so. Then cube it up and make Chili Verde on the stove or in a crockpot. Why? Because...

Winter is coming.
I do have everything I need for chili too and have been thinking of doing it. I used sirloin and ground beef last time pork and ground beef might be a good idea.

well done.jpg

Reactions: noboundaries
Well I jumped in here, albeit a bit late, to make a couple of suggestions but it looks like everybody has you covered. Let us know what you decide. Of all the things mentioned here, I'd say that carnitas are a fan favorite.

Robert

Well I jumped in here, albeit a bit late, to make a couple of suggestions but it looks like everybody has you covered. Let us know what you decide. Of all the things mentioned here, I'd say that carnitas are a fan favorite.

Robert
What we're you gonna suggest and I may do both since I got about 3 lbs

How about a Mcrib

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky