Some plain old scalloped potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Southeast Michigan
Just saw these chops at the store yesterday and I was going to use them in a crock pot meal with potatoes to make while I was at work. I don't know.. the potatoes may be to done and fall apart in 9 hours. I might try it another day..
I made a quick scalloped potatoes dish after I got home from work.
Just browned the 3 chops and set them aside.. Same time I cut up a big onion and 3 large russet potatoes into thinner than usual slices and left the potato skin on. I got a sauce going 4 big tbsp of butter melted and equal amount of flour.. salt and pepper everything as I go. A big clove of garlic is in the sauce minced.
I used a whole quart of milk in the sauce adding as it thickened on the burner.. Got it all ready and assembled.
I did use the meat fond in the bottom of the pan. I cooked the onions a few in that with salt to get the pot cleaned up and use that good porky flavor.
So I layered it in.. 1 chop and one big potato per serving I figured.
Sauce was just about the quart mark.

IMG_20171116_190940.jpg
IMG_20171116_190950.jpg
IMG_20171116_191027.jpg
IMG_20171116_191601.jpg
IMG_20171116_191936.jpg
IMG_20171116_192031.jpg
IMG_20171116_192529.jpg
IMG_20171116_193111.jpg

Looking good.. the potatoes are done pretty much. Pork tender. Just wanted more crispy bits lol.. I stirred it a tad around the sides and bottom and left it in the oven to keep Browning on top.. total time will be 2 hours at 375- 350 range. Lid on first 30 to 45 minutes. That's a 6 qt pot.
IMG_20171116_210837.jpg

Damn that looks tasty. I was going to do patatoes an gratin tonight but I got lazy. I bought a couple of twice baked potatoes at the local deli/meat market to go with the grilled chops. I’m doing a chuckie this weekend and I think this will be a great side.

That look great....JJ

Looking good. I really love scalloped potatos!!!! I'd sure eat those.
But just ONE big clove of garlic??? Is there garlic rationing down your way?? LOL.
As for spuds falling apart in the crock pot, we leave them in for 8 to 12 hours on low with no problems.
Gary

But just ONE big clove of garlic??? Is there garlic rationing down your way?? LOL.
As for spuds falling apart in the crock pot, we leave them in for 8 to 12 hours on low with no problems.
Gary

The type of potato matters. Russet potatoes, aka Baking Potatoes used above, are higher in starch. We Chef's call these Mealy potatoes, compared to the common white or red potatoes that are higher in protein, we call them Waxy. Mealy Russets bake up light and fluffy but fall apart when peeled and boiled or simmered in a sauce or gravy for a long time. Waxy potatoes stand up to long moist cooking, becoming tender but maintain their shape. Think Potato Salad or Beef Stew...JJ

Damn that looks tasty. I was going to do patatoes an gratin tonight but I got lazy. I bought a couple of twice baked potatoes at the local deli/meat market to go with the grilled chops. I’m doing a chuckie this weekend and I think this will be a great side.

That look great....JJ

Gary

Why thank youZ all.. Was yummy yep..
Yeah leftovers today and potatoes didn't keep much form.. but still good.. Yep. Baking potatoes not the best choice. Mostly I use plain white multi purpose ones..
Big Yukon Golds

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky