Some fermented hot sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
But what replaces brine in the processed sauce?

How does that work Joe?

It's new territory for me but you chop your ingredients and weigh them with your desired percentage of salt. Place everything in a vac seal bag and seal, leaving enough room for the bag to expand. When the bag looks like a pillow and on the verge of busting, you pin prick the bag, let all the C02 out and place a piece of tape over the pin hole to close it. One advantage of it is that all the oxygen is already removed out in the beginning.

Jeff, there will be some brine since the salt will draw out all the excess moisture, kind of like sauerkraut. You could blend all that and some vinegar for your desired consistency.

73saint 73saint has done this before, here's two of his threads.

It's new territory for me but you chop your ingredients and weigh them with your desired percentage of salt. Place everything in a vac seal bag and seal, leaving enough room for the bag to expand. When the bag looks like a pillow and on the verge of busting, you pin prick the bag, let all the C02 out and place a piece of tape over the pin hole to close it. One advantage of it is that all the oxygen is already removed out in the beginning.

Jeff, there will be some brine since the salt will draw out all the excess moisture, kind of like sauerkraut. You could blend all that and some vinegar for your desired consistency.

73saint 73saint has done this before, here's two of his threads.

Great threads! I had stumbled on one earlier. I think we need a fermenting forum. Lots of us on here.

Reactions: Steve H
Got my own batch going. Habaneros, garlic and 3% brine. We'll see how it looks in 2-3 months.
20221218_152838.jpg

Have some jalapeños fermenting too, but those are just for snacking, not sauce.

20221203_221704.jpg

Reactions: Steve H
Looks really good. I pickle jalapenos all the time to stuff with feta. Or for pizzas and such. I'll be doing a batch to ferment soon.

Got my own batch going. Habaneros, garlic and 3% brine. We'll see how it looks in 2-3 months.
View attachment 651547

Have some jalapeños fermenting too, but those are just for snacking, not sauce.

View attachment 651548
Both look great. I’m doing green jalapeños bonnet mix now. Love the fresh taste the green peppers bring. They do make good snacks too. I recently switched to using 3.5% brine for peppers based on recent reading I’ve done

Reactions: dr k
Both look great. I’m doing green jalapeños bonnet mix now. Love the fresh taste the green peppers bring. They do make good snacks too. I recently switched to using 3.5% brine for peppers based on recent reading I’ve done
I just received my scotch bonnet seeds in the mail today. Hopefully these will be a little more fruitful than the last seeds I got. I’m assuming the 1/2% extra on the brine will help to keep the bad bacteria from taking hold.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky