Some fermented hot sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I did make circle inserts a couple years ago with a hole in the middle to remove it from the jar that goes in before the weight bag. It's about the inside diameter of the jar. It's thin food grade plastic from an uncolored chopping mat.
20221026_164324.jpg

I haven't tried these, but I think I might for my next ferment. I wonder if anyone here has tried them.

I've tried marbles and water in plastic bags, also cabbage leaves, but because I make a mash out of my peppers before starting the ferment, smaller bits can still float to the surface and could potentially become contaminated.

For my most recent ferment, I found that using sufficient salt and starter keeps the nasties away and gets the ferment going pretty quickly. Once the ferment gets going, the head space fills with CO2 quickly and also keeps the nasties away. I also agitate the jar every day or so that most of the mash sinks back to the bottom.

Reactions: jcam222 and dr k
I haven't tried these, but I think I might for my next ferment. I wonder if anyone here has tried them.

I've tried marbles and water in plastic bags, also cabbage leaves, but because I make a mash out of my peppers before starting the ferment, smaller bits can still float to the surface and could potentially become contaminated.

For my most recent ferment, I found that using sufficient salt and starter keeps the nasties away and gets the ferment going pretty quickly. Once the ferment gets going, the head space fills with CO2 quickly and also keeps the nasties away. I also agitate the jar every day or so that most of the mash sinks back to the bottom.
Wow! Nice fermenter with a press fit inner lid at any level and bubbler hole just push it down till air is out from under it and brine covers it, then put on top lid. The $19.99 .9gal/3.4L is the Amazon Choice. It's 8.5×5.51x7.2. So a sheet of paper folded in half 7.2 high I guess. It's in my cart. Not sure when to buy yet.

Just got this one bottled up . Ferment was garlic , reapers , lunch box sweet and onions .
Added red wine vinegar and pineapple , then strained it . Heated on the stove . Cooled and bottled . It's already getting better just since it's cooled sitting on the counter . PH was 3.3 .

1667594075282.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great Rich! I just finished processing a couple very basic ones. I’ll post them up once I bottle. I leave them in half gallon jars for a couple days and sometimes will make adjustments on salt, vinegar, sweet and xanthan after they mellow a little. I always find that after a few days much bitterness fades.

Reactions: xray and chopsaw
I've got a couple batches that have been fermenting about 30 days. They're both real basic, with an assortment of peppers including habaneros, serranos, etc., plus onion, garlic, and a couple peach slices. One batch made with raw ingredients, the other with roasted ingredients. Fermentation process seems largely complete for both. I think I'll pull one batch and run it through the mill for use with Thanksgiving munchies and leave the rest of it continue to age.

I'm anxious to try it and see what adjustments I need to make next time, both pre and post-processing. I'm particularly interested in tasting what a fermented peach tastes like. I like the idea of not cooking it after processing in order to preserve the beneficial pro-biotics, but I'll make sure to check the pH and make sure nothing explodes in the refrigerator if the ferment continues.

Just got this one bottled up . Ferment was garlic , reapers , lunch box sweet and onions .
Added red wine vinegar and pineapple , then strained it . Heated on the stove . Cooled and bottled . It's already getting better just since it's cooled sitting on the counter . PH was 3.3 .

View attachment 647782

Great looking sauce Rich! Pretty vibrant color on it too. I could tell it must be pretty hot, you had to break out the frosted mug :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: chopsaw
I was thinking this might need some salt . Holding a few days is a great idea . I might have to un-bottle .
After un-bottling a ton of bottles from a couple batches last year I’ve switched to 2-5 days in half gallon jars first haha

Reactions: chopsaw

The fermenter is awesome. The vacuum internal plate with hole and plug to keep solids below brine will rise with pressure with the plug in or out with Kimchi or Sauerkraut but will be fine for big veggies like pickles or hot sauce and stay put below brine and bubble out the hole. Kimchi is fast 2-5 days. Sauerkraut is 3-4 weeks. After finding all the Korean ingredients in three days the CO2 pushed up the the vacuum plate that I pull the plug to push down and burp daily as the vacuum plate drops below brine level but still waiting for the sour tanginess. The top fart lid and internal vacuum plate can't keep the fermenting fish sauce, ginger, garlic smell contained. So into a 2 gal ziploc it went and it still finds it's way out. Probably 5 days to get sour, tangy, effervescent. I did just over 2lb napa cabbage with the other add ins and will be able to get another two lbs for a total of 4lbs of Napa cabage next time , being the maiden voyage. It is stinky but has the most probiotics if that is what you're looking for. Great fermenter for $20. Pick your size this was .9 gal or 3.4 L I like the tall vs flat wide and this was Amazon's Choice. Instructions like Tallbm says on most things is written by a drunk second grader.
20221101_124314.jpg

The fermenter is awesome. The vacuum internal plate with hole and plug to keep solids below brine will rise with pressure with the plug in or out with Kimchi or Sauerkraut but will be fine for big veggies like pickles or hot sauce and stay put below brine and bubble out the hole. Kimchi is fast 2-5 days. Sauerkraut is 3-4 weeks. After finding all the Korean ingredients in three days the CO2 pushed up the the vacuum plate that I pull the plug to push down and burp daily as the vacuum plate drops below brine level but still waiting for the sour tanginess. The top fart lid and internal vacuum plate can't keep the fermenting fish sauce, ginger, garlic smell contained. So into a 2 gal ziploc it went and it still finds it's way out. Probably 5 days to get sour, tangy, effervescent. I did just over 2lb napa cabbage with the other add ins and will be able to get another two lbs for a total of 4lbs of Napa cabage next time , being the maiden voyage. It is stinky but has the most probiotics if that is what you're looking for. Great fermenter for $20. Pick your size this was .9 gal or 3.4 L I like the tall vs flat wide and this was Amazon's Choice. Instructions like Tallbm says on most things is written by a drunk second grader.
View attachment 647811
I’m going to get one of these to do larger batches of kraut. Want to get some done to add to the Christmas goody baskets I’ll make up.

Looking forward to hearing how the wings taste!
I couldn't wait 'til tomorrow . I was burning the pellet grill out for a brisket tomorrow . Turned it down to 400 and put 5 wings on .
Seasoned up .
1667683588614.jpeg

On the top shelf of the SmokeFire . I started them on foil , then moved to the grate .
1667683609398.jpeg

All done . Sugar at 400 took some fast color .
1667683566687.jpeg

Damn they're good . I had two with just the rub , then did one also covered with the sauce . That was the ticket . Man it's good . You taste the sweet kind of citrus from the pineapple . Then you get the heat . It's not extreme , but it really builds up after eating .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky