Some babybacks on WSM 22.5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Electric88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
Broke in a new (to me) WSM 22.5" over the weekend and haven't been able to post until now. I had originally bought the 18.5", but ran out of room pretty quickly. Found this one for a pretty good deal (in my opinion), and decided to do a test run. Came with the upgraded stainless steel door, castors, and hinge on the lid. After filling with charcoal, some chunks of hickory and cherry, and placing the probe for my Inkbird thermometer (which worked amazingly by the way!) I was ready to go.

smoker.jpg

Sorry, no pictures of the ribs themselves before going in. Sams Club finally got the cryovac packs back in (they ran out for a minute or two with the shortages), so I selected a decent looking pack. Removed the membrane and trimmed them up, slathered some mustard on as a binder, and used a variation of Jeff's rub on them nice and thick.

The past couple times I had done the 2-2-1 method, but found the ribs were almost to the point of being mushy and too tender. I like them to come off the bone cleanly, but they were so soft before that I couldn't even slice them without shredding them. This time, I decided to do 2.5 hours in the smoke, followed by 1.5 hours foiled and 1 hour at the end out of foil and sauced. When it came time to foil, I just put some butter pats and extra rub mixture in the foil and wrapped them. I also put them in the oven at this point, since BTUs are BTUs (courtesy of Harry Soo). This was them before foiling.

ribs1.jpg

After removing from foil and applying sauce (I used a variant of Jeff's sauce, half ketchup and half mustard), was barely able to snap a picture of them after slicing before people descended upon them. I'm very pleased with them, and think they were the best batch I've done to date. They were firm enough to cut but still separated from the bone cleanly. Flavor was excellent with the rub, smoke, and sauce. I know the smoke ring is just aesthetic, but it's always a beautiful sight to me.

ribs2.jpg

Altogether, very pleased with this batch!

Great looking ribs! Try wrapping in butcher paper instead of foil next time and see what you think. I did foil for years and the last couple time have done paper and its my go to now.

Reactions: Electric88
Great looking ribs! Try wrapping in butcher paper instead of foil next time and see what you think. I did foil for years and the last couple time have done paper and its my go to now.

I bought a commercial roll of foil from Sams Club, but when that runs out I certainly will!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky