Soft/Spreadable Cheese..how to smoke it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cohiba

Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
North Oklahoma City,Oklahoma
Hey All,

Still a newbie so go soft on my "inexperienced" questions.

My wife and I were at a meat/butcher shop last week. Well, tbey had soft /cream cheese that was smoked and awesome. Yes, I'll go ask them how they did it this weekend, but I want advice from my wonderful friends on this forum.

I know how to smoke a block of cheese but what's the process for spreadable...smoke a block and blend it into a spread? Give me a few tips.

I'm using a smokin-it smoker with the cold smoking plate as my equipment.

Thanks!!

I have smoked cream cheese. The kind that comes in the card board box with a foil liner. I just unwrapped it from the foil, and left it sit on the foil on the smoker racks. Cold smoked of course. I smoked it for about a hour is all and that was plenty of smoke. For other soft cheeses I would put them on foil and let-er rip. I'm sure that the Q-matz that Todd sells would work for these cheeses too. Note soft cheese doesn't require much smoke.

I smoked it during the winter. So, it was easy to keep the temperature down.

I have read that some people fill 2 liter bottles with water and freeze them, then put those in the smoker to maintain low temps.

Good luck and don't forget the q-view.

On my last cold smoke the wife had just picked up some whipped cream cheese in the plastic container so I thought lets try it!! Just took the lid off and threw it in the smoker for 2-1/2 hrs. To my surprise it came out pretty good, the container itself absorbed enough smoke to give the fridge a nice aroma all week long.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky