Social Distancing Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sonnyseattle

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
Washington's wetside
Just because we're hunkered down doesn't mean we can't eat like kings. This is my first smoke since returning from a year in Hong Kong. We were there when this whole thing kicked off, and now we're back in another hot spot here in western Washington.

Anyway, this is my first attempt at a beef loin. I rubbed it in SPOSG (OS= Onion Soup mix) with the Mrs. using a mortar and pestle to grind the soup mix to a powder. I'm shooting for an IT of around 135F. The smoker will be running at 250-300. Not too worried about temp swings as I'll be monitoring the IT.

Who else warding off the pandemic through a cloud of smoke? Stay safe, and stay healthy!

beef loin 1.jpg

beef loin 2.jpg

Who else warding off the pandemic through a cloud of smoke? Stay safe, and stay healthy!

Overall that has been my approach. Not today though. got major rain coming in and it'll be here for several days. The patio is fully covered but with the horrible wind that's supposed to be blowing, that may put a damper on things. You're gonna love that roast!! Please post pics of the finished product and entire meal.

Robert

Reactions: sonnyseattle
The 130° - 135° internal is good for sirloin, ironically the top sirloin will be similar to a tri-tip which is from the bottom sirloin.

I'm smoking chicken thighs today and tomorrow I'll begin cold smoking 3 slabs of bacon.

Since I've got to spend a lot of time at home, figured I may as well smoke some meat more often, I'll be smoking a brisket tomorrow, but can't have guests over to share it. My bbq buddy asked me to leave some with him. Will probably freeze a chunk for later.

Sorry for the delay in posting the results. Life and stuff, you know.

After about 3 1/2 hours the sirloin reached an IT of 132. I pulled it from the smoker and let it rest uncovered for about 30 minutes before slicing in to check the results. Ever since, I've been eating a delicious steak sandwich every day. There's still plenty left.

What would I do different? Less rub. I put it on too heavy so the end pieces were very salty. Otherwise, I would follow the same plan again.

beef loin 3.jpg

Well I only grilled some big fat cheeseburgers this past weekend. I’m “essential personnel” for my county IT department so I am not able to work from home. Unless I catch this crud I will be on the front line so to speak. I do want to keep up with my smoking though. I’m planning on smoking a pork butt this weekend. I have a great looking chunk in the freezer. It’s about 8lbs. I’m looking forward to a nice long smoke. Hopefully I will have my pecan chunks by then. If not I’ll have to make do with hickory and perhaps some apple. If I can get my hands on a package of chicken thighs I will be making some vortex chicken as well.
G

Sorry for the delay in posting the results. Life and stuff, you know.

After about 3 1/2 hours the sirloin reached an IT of 132. I pulled it from the smoker and let it rest uncovered for about 30 minutes before slicing in to check the results. Ever since, I've been eating a delicious steak sandwich every day. There's still plenty left.

What would I do different? Less rub. I put it on too heavy so the end pieces were very salty. Otherwise, I would follow the same plan again.

View attachment 437134

Looks good. How does that compare to steak cooked on a grill? You prefer this?

To me, nothing beats a properly grilled steak. Getting that sear and the crispy edges is hard to beat. My NY strips, t-bones, etc. go on the fire for a fast turnaround. But for larger cuts like top sirloin or tri-tip, the nod goes to the smoker.

Reactions: BBQlover81
Looks Tasty from my Chair

Gary

That top sirloin has been making for amazing thin-sliced sandwiches. Considering this was my first smoke in over two years due to extensive international travel, I'm rather stunned it turned out so well. I expect this will become a frequent part of my smoker rotation.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky