So this just happened....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I have to respectfully disagree that I have a poor attitude about the situation. I think it’s awesome that they honor their warranty. That’s cool and all. But to make your customer go without their only grill for three weeks because of your ultimately defective product seems excessive to me. Maybe I’m just spoiled in the era of Amazon Prime shipping, but I would certainly think they could get a replacement to me sooner than 3 weeks time.

Reactions: jcam222
Yes, yes you are, poor attitude and spoiled.

I'll be honest, I'm spoiled too, especially by Amazon Prime 2 day shipping.
But I sure as hell pay for that two day shipping, $12.99 a month.
So most times that two day shipping has cost me $13, $26 or even $39.

Last edited:
When I inquired about the three weeks, they said most of the time items are shipped within 7-10 business days. So I guess 3 weeks might be worst case scenario. I might have to just buy a Weber as a secondary grill so I can get cooking again. I’ve wanted one anyways for awhile and have just put it off. Now I have a good excuse! :emoji_wink:

Update:
Well two days after I submitted my warranty claim they responded and said they will be shipping me the newly designed fire box. However they said it could be three weeks before I get it. That really pisses me off! I use my grill multiple times a week, especially on the diet I’ve been doing. Three weeks without the grill is unacceptable. You mean to tell me they don’t have a better/faster distribution network to be able to get me this part within a few days time?

I feel your pain, but a couple of things.

First off, that appears to be the old style one piece fire box. Correct me if I'm wrong.
IMG_1279.jpg

Mine developed cracks in it along the holes a few months after I purchased my KJ Classic and I contacted them. They replaced it when it had cracked to the below indicated point and from these pics that I sent them. The cracks were very small, hairline cracks. But they sent me out a new one. This was prior to the release of the KJ Classic II.

IMG_1318 2.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

They sent a new one out to me within a few days. Less than a week if I recall.

Ideally, the minute you noticed cracks in that firebox, that would have been the time to notify them.

They replaced this firebox. Before it broke, and so now I have two of the old style fireboxes.

Secondly, when the newest version of the KJ came out around 2 yrs ago with the multiple piece firebox and top ring which would allow for expansion and contraction of the firebox, I ordered one from a third party which I cannot name here, and replaced the newest one that they had replaced for me with it.

IMG_1747 2.JPG

The multi piece sectional allows for expansion and contraction better than does the one piece version of the fire bowl.

I suspect that the heat cycles, especially if you were running it at high heat, shortened the life of your original fire box.

As for the newer version of the firebox, I have owned it for nearly two years, or since shortly after they became available through other BBQ vendors. I have developed no cracks whatsoever in the newer version since owning it. And I regularly run my KJ at temps in the 700° range and higher and without hesitation.

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

The newer firebox cost me less than $100.00, if I recall, it was $89.99 shipped.

I know that hind sight is 20/20, and what I'm describing here doesn't help you much.

But I would encourage anyone with the old style firebox, to inspect it now for cracks. Especially if it's old or you frequently run at very high temperatures, and notify KJ for a new one, if not go ahead and retire it before it breaks and purchase the newer version which has been on the Classic II versions of these Kamados.

The Weber is a good idea, as it's always a good idea to have more than one cooker if you have the space and budget for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bgaviator
...I get it. No need to keep rubbing salt into the wound

Last edited:
...I get it. No need to keep rubbing salt into the wound

Just a suggestion here bgaviator, but if this is causing you aggravation, then it may be worth it to consider going ahead and purchasing it from the company which I purchased mine from back almost a couple of years ago. They have them in stock and they ship in 24hrs. You'd have it in a couple of days.

It might be worth it to you to drop the $95.99 shipped that they are asking for it.

$95.99 is not a lot to pay for peace of mind and the elimination of aggravation and to make this all go away.

If it's only going to cost $95.99 to make this headache go away, well then just me, but I'd gladly pay it.

Sometimes, you have to take time to smell the roses and put aggravation behind you. Life is too short.

For perspective, I just paid this for this steak. That new fire box will cost you less than this steak cost me, and I've eaten it already just today. The pics were taken a little over an hour ago.

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2666.JPG

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2674 2.jpg

IMG_2677.JPG

IMG_2678.jpg

Nice Mailliard reaction, cooked and seared perfectly on my KJ, and to me, worth every bit of what I paid for it.

Maybe the folks at KJ can send you something else for free instead for your aggravation like a new cover, a discount on a Joetisserie, etc. Something that you might not need right away like you need a new fire box. It won't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: drdon and bgaviator
Oh my...where did you get that piece of meat?
I was just in Japan a few months ago and went to Tsukiji Fish Market. Paid $40 for a skewer of grilled A5 wagyu beef. It was damn good...but it was sickening to think how much I paid for it. It’s almost comical now really.

Oh my...where did you get that piece of meat?
I was just in Japan a few months ago and went to Tsukiji Fish Market. Paid $40 for a skewer of grilled A5 wagyu beef. It was damn good...but it was sickening to think how much I paid for it. It’s almost comical now really.

I'm fortunate in that I can get it locally from one of the specialty meat markets.

It's pricey, but it is a welcome treat every now and again, and goes down good with a good Merlot or even bourbon and a good cigar.

Update*
So early last week I got an email from Kamado Joe with an invoice attached showing my firebox was shipped via FedEx Ground. However, the invoice contained no tracking number which I thought was odd. Well, I waited...and waited...and waited for my firebox to show up and finally I contacted Kamado Joe today and they said my firebox had already been delivered. They provided a link for the tracking which showed it was delivered last Thursday!! However we never got anything. So either they delivered it to the wrong address or my firebox was stolen. I have packages delivered all the time and have never had anything like this happen. I’ve already contacted FedEx and they are opening a case. I guess I should have inquired about a tracking number right away from Kamado Joe, but still...they should have provided one. If I could have seen what day it was being delivered it would have had better visibility to prevent possible theft.

I hate to hear that . I thought the new thing was to send you a pic of it sitting at your house to prove they delivered it . Good luck .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky