So...I'm buying 1/2 a salami hog...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I was talking to my buddy in Michigan couple weeks ago. He has a pastured castrated Mangalista x Tamworth cross boar that he was keeping for himself for a salami pig.
imagejpeg_0_3.jpg

The pig is 500-550# and he does not need the whole pig for salami. He offered me 1/2 the pig. Says the Culatello will be around 40# or so. He made me a hell of a deal I could not pass up! So excited to get the chance to make salami with some really good pork! Won't have to buy pork fat for processing day this season either! LOL!

Looks like he's going over to eat that little pig, should be some great stuff! RAY

Wow that is one big fat hog!
What was he fed?
Al
Pig is pasture raised on 250 acres, but do not know how big an area the hog has access to. There are mast trees of oak, hickory and such so they are eating that was well. Buddy gets a truck load of stale Amish bakery goods every week, got walnuts, cherries, almonds and such in the baked goods. Also gets pulled produce from 3 organic grocers in the area.
I think he only actually buys supplemental protein pellets and that is infrequently...

Nice!
You guys slaughtering and butchering or having it done for you?
If doing it yourselves you burning/scalding and scraping or just skinning?

Nice!
You guys slaughtering and butchering or having it done for you?
If doing it yourselves you burning/scalding and scraping or just skinning?
This kid is raising the hogs. He has a niche business as a traveling butcher in and around Michigan. He is going to butcher it into primals and vac pack it, put it in a chest freezer on a trailer and freeze it. Then he's driving it to Just outside Kansas City middle of December where I will pick it up at a get together/birthday party/duck hunt. He is doing the hair removal.

This kid is raising the hogs. He has a niche business as a traveling butcher in and around Michigan. He is going to butcher it into primals and vac pack it, put it in a chest freezer on a trailer and freeze it. Then he's driving it to Just outside Kansas City middle of December where I will pick it up at a get together/birthday party/duck hunt. He is doing the hair removal.

Nice man!

My hunting season funds got clobbered by our wonderful COVID and economic situation BUT I am gearing up to hunt feral hogs on my cousin's deer lease. They complain about being over run with them so that is going to be my hunting this year.
I plan to light them up and get lots of pork!

Hmm might have to put the subsonic/supersonic scope on the rifle and go super quite on them to get maximum amount on the ground before they know whats going on :)

Just an update on the pig...

My buddy could not make it down to Kansas to deliver the 1/2 hog. With all the larger processors shut down due to Covid, his phone is ringing off the hook. He is 10 times busier than normal and has hired some help-which is a good thing. He is doing 2-3 hogs a day until the end of the year and likely past that. I told him no worries...we'll figure out something and I'll buy the hog at a later date. He asures me the hog is not going anywhere....only going to get better for salami with age anyhow.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky