So i have an orchard i can get cherry/apple/plum from. but

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DennisC

Original poster
Mar 9, 2020
he just cut alot of bits not to long ago.
he say it was last sprayed in august. so the sprayed stuff should be long gone now.

Would you guys use it?
since its been like 6 months since it was sprayed? "before the winter"
it will mostly be smaller branches, and chunks.

also seasoning it.
how long should i season fruit wood?
with bark on or off?

If it’s still green, I would let it season 6-12 months. I would think any spray would be “gone” by now, definitely by the time you go to use it. Just my 2 cents...

yeah i would def let it season for around 6 months.

yeah thats my thoughts aswell, i dont you think you can find any orchards, that dont spray for winter.
and as the farmer said it would be long gone by now.

Grab some (a lot) of each, let it season and you have a long term stash of wood. I just grabbed a 1/4 cord of cherry that I won't need til next fall or winter and 1/4 cord of well seasoned apple.

I’m hoarding up on some wood now too. Have 2/3 cord of 2 year seasoned apple coming along with a 1/3 cord of cherry about 10 months seasoned and another 1/3 cord of mixed oak and apple that’s green. Currently shopping for a used truck too so I can start to hoard up on the summer tree trimming around the area lol.

Grab some (a lot) of each, let it season and you have a long term stash of wood. I just grabbed a 1/4 cord of cherry that I won't need til next fall or winter and 1/4 cord of well seasoned apple.
I’m hoarding up on some wood now too. Have 2/3 cord of 2 year seasoned apple coming along with a 1/3 cord of cherry about 10 months seasoned and another 1/3 cord of mixed oak and apple that’s green. Currently shopping for a used truck too so I can start to hoard up on the summer tree trimming around the area lol.

so the matter that it got sprayed in august last year.
should be no concern at all:P?

so the matter that it got sprayed in august last year.
should be no concern at all:P?

I would expect every non organic orchard is spraying. After 6 months or more I would feel fine using it if it was seasoned. You know it was sprayed. Anyone buying fruitwood or nut woods like Almond or Walnut from most sources should assume the same at some point.

Organic orchards spray their trees about twice as often as non-organic orchards...

Anyone using fruit woods or nut woods or corn pellets is getting some form of spray...
That pretty much leaves soft woods like fir, pine etc....

Last edited:
Organic orchards spray their trees about twice as often as non-organic orchards...

Anyone using fruit woods or nut woods or corn pellets is getting some form of spray...
That pretty much leaves soft woods like fir, pine etc....
So you would have no concerns over using the wood im getting :) ?
new to this whole season my self:) always just bought dried so never thought of it before haha

The concentration of "stuff" is so minimal.... Ppb or Ppt.... And the temperatures it burns at...
Enjoy your roast or ham... It's better than anything you can purchase at the bog box grocery..

I live in the middle of orchards... so do the owners of said orchards...
If this stuff was harmful, do you really think the orchardist would live in the center of where he/she was spraying ???

Where I live.....

2021-03-28.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky