So I bought a rack of Lamb...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Teal101

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
After seeing all the racks on here and not having had lamb since I was a kid I got inspired to pick a rack up. I think I'm going to do an herb paste as that looks fantastic. My main question is temp and time. I remember as a kid lamb being a little gamey so not sure if I will like it now as an adult, but I also know it really depends on how you cook it. I'd rather not screw it up, so what has worked for you? Thanks!

Reactions: kruizer
The gaminess comes from the fat. Do your racks have the cap on? I grill mine over a medium hot fire until the internal is 125° and I count on it rising 4° or 5°.

QAt3qiH.jpg

One rack was marinated, and the other had a dry rub.
8xzvZXQ.jpg

Not sure is you can really see the color, but they are a warm pink center verses a cooler red center as in rare.
bLG29Dg.jpg

Wow those look fantastic. This rack doesnt have a large cap, but it does have some on it. I've definitely learned to trim fat caps off, something my mom never did. Good to know thats where that flavor comes from. Why the foil wrap on the bones?

I would call them savory over gamey. I did two not long ago over cherry wood and then drizzled a balsamic red wine reduction over them with garlic mash. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cherry-wood-roasted-rack-of-lamb.291178/

Sowsage Sowsage has done a couple preps as well that turned out very nice. the secret is NOT to over cook them. I pull them at IT 140 sowsage pulled @ IT 135.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/herbs-de-provence-rack-of-lamb.292012/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/2nd-rack-of-lamb-not-planned.293119/

Reactions: Teal101
i did my first rack of lamb last year. Here's the post:

Wow those look fantastic. This rack doesnt have a large cap, but it does have some on it. I've definitely learned to trim fat caps off, something my mom never did. Good to know thats where that flavor comes from. Why the foil wrap on the bones?
I think because it keeps the bones from charring for presentation purposes.

Looks. Foil keeps the bone from burning. I do the same on chicken lollipops.

BzdPl88.jpg

Except that I sauce the bones when I glaze the lollipops.
BYsLvrg.jpg

Reactions: Jabiru and Teal101
What temp are you guys cooking them at? 225? Will be on a traeger.

If you cook them at 225 I would suggest going to 115ish the reverse sear to 135 ish then rest.

just be Johnny on the spot during the sear cause they go quick up to temp.

After seeing all the racks on here and not having had lamb since I was a kid I got inspired to pick a rack up. I think I'm going to do an herb paste as that looks fantastic. My main question is temp and time. I remember as a kid lamb being a little gamey so not sure if I will like it now as an adult, but I also know it really depends on how you cook it. I'd rather not screw it up, so what has worked for you? Thanks!
Personally, I love lamb fat. Very flavorful. As far as "gamey" Ness, I believe it strongly depends where your lamb is from. American lamb - mild. Australian lamb - gamey.

Lemon juice goes well with lamb. Cuts the fat and tames the flavors. I grew up raising, butchering and cooking lamb. Lemon is your friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky