snack stix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Debi,
I just bought a universal stuffer attachment for my #22 grinder. Got it a Cabelas for $20 it works great for all but snack sticks. It doesn't do well pushing the meat mix down the long skinny tube. I am going to get a press type stuffer for those next time. But on the Brat/kielbasa size it worked fantastic. For the larger sausage (summer) I have a plunger tube that fills a 12"X2" casing. I think I got that from sportsmans warehouse but it was made by Luhr Jensen.

Longshot

Well I'm going to try my new Grizzly vertical stuffer tonight and see how it goes.

I'll be doing Italian sausage, and pepperoni we'll see.

Debi

Grizzly Vertical stuffer? Why would you use something so effective? I for one will struggle with an inefficient and slow painstaking way just to avoid looking like a showoff..... but hey that's me... I am about to spend way more money than I should to build something I should just go buy for 1/3rd the price!!! Must be a man thing

Reactions: beardawg
Cajun -

I just made pepperoni tonight in 21mm casings and it uses a 1/2" tube.

Is pepperoni the same thing a snack sticks? We eat them for snacks my my house. I make 1" pepperoni for pizza. That way they know what NOT to eat all up!

Thanks Debi, Luckily I have two 1/2" stuffing tubes. 1 with my grinder and the other with my stuffer. These snack stix (slim jim) are on my "to do" list.

Longshot...how ya been? Ya know us Idahoians are a rare breed on this forum. :lol:

Few questions:

1. How long do you have to smoke the snack sticks for?
2. Do the collagen tubes unravel themselves or do you have to pull them apart?
3. Are the tubes brittle?
4. Do you have to cut them into smaller lengths to fit them onto a stuffing horn?

Thanks

az

i smoke the snack stix at 120 for 1 hour no smoke and 1 hour at 120 with smoke then i raise the temp up to 140 for another hour then i raise the temp up to 160 for another hour then i raise it up to 175-180 and finish it off at this temp when sausage reaches 152 i pull the sausage

the collegen casing can get brittle if it is stored in a plastic bag they seem to work fine for me but if left out at room temp they can become brittle

as for casing unraveling themselves this depends on your stuffer tube my stuffer tube i can put the whole roll on at once it is a 3/8 inch tube so i can stuff ten pounds of sausage at once if your tube is bigger then 3/8 then you may have to unravel the casing to get it to fit on the tube

as for cutting the casing i hang my snack stix in my smoker so i dont need to cut them to fit into my smoker if you are going to try your gosm you may want to cut them into i foot lengths and lay them on your racks as far as cutting the casing to fit on your tube if your tube is not as long as the casing tube then i would cut the casing as long as the tube is

if your gosm temp only gets to 190 you are gonna have to figure out how to get the temp down 190 is still above the temp that i finish this sausage at i hope this helps you
salmonclubber

hey cajun

no pics yet but will get them for ya it is a basic plywood smoker it i9s insulated with the insulation you buy at the hardware store it comes in 4x8 sheets for around 20 bucks i have a thermostat from mcmaster carr it cost around 65 bucks the burner i have is a 1100 watt from the sausage maker i forget what it cost i will add pics later
salmonclubber

[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]

Redneck -

I had to cut my casings, my stuffing horns are only about 5" long.

I used colagen for the first time and some of the ones that got hotter by touching the sides of my ECB did split but no biggie.

If you pull the casing over the tube and push it on tightly they'll unravel themselves easily! Almost to easily. I just put as much as I could on the horn until I got near the end and left about an inch or so hanging off for tying.

I think I'm gonna switch to colagen they're easier to work with and have no taste (I don't like the taste or texture of pig guts). I usually cut them off before cooking them. These I won't have to. No pre soaking either. Slide em on, pump them up ad your done! EASY!

debi

i hang my snack stix in the smoker and i do not tie them after stuffing i have never had a problem with the meat slipping out of the casing its up to you but it may save you some time to try them without tying
salmonclubber

My stuffer is a Kitchen Aid. I've used it for years for sausage with natural casings. I'm able to slip that slippery sucker on and do what I have to do. Am I going to have to cut each length about 6" before I stuff them? That would be a pain..

Well I avoided stuffing sausages as much as posible for years because my ole knuckle buster was so painfully slow and almost imposible to do alone. Jessie does not go into the kitchen except to eat or get a beverage.

I'd show off my new stuffer for sure - only thing is you folks are the only ones that don't say "why don't you just go to Shop Rite and buy sausage?" I am about the only one in my family or circle of friends that likes to make it myself.

Still thinking of a good way to stuff a 4" salami!

:roll:

salmonclubber..you are the man! What a great smoker! So simple, who would have thought...Keep Smokin Bro.
I happen to have 1 of those temp controllers in my garage. The light bulb is starting to :idea: .
Think with a larger burner, my sausage days will begin to become reality.
Thanks. :D

Salmonclubber -

I don't know why I still tied them. I know they were not going to hang in the mud room but I still tied them - habit maybe? LOL

Although when I make my salami or procuitto I need the string to hang them. They'll have to hang for 3 mouths to a year.

Redneck -

No you put what you can on the stuffing tube and stuff it however long you want (until the end of the casing). If you want short pieces you can just give it a twist to whatever length you want.

I made one long sausage because I didn't know if I would like the taste of the casing and it seemed easier to cut it off in one big hunk. When I used natural casings I cut them off before cookig them - I don't like the taste or texture.

Salomclubber -

Do you worry about the wooden smoker catching fire? Or is the electric heater far enugh away you don't have to worry?

Another couple questions for you folks -

When you smoke your snack sticks, do you fill your water pan?

Do you turn them during the smoke?

I just ordered Willies Seasoning from PS and I'm really looking forward to making these treats. But, until that time, our local supermarket has babybacks on sale for $2.99/lb.. Superbowl fare has been selected.. :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky