SNACK STICKS STORAGE QUESTION?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tennsmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Clarksville, Tn
It's hard enough to make a great tasting snack stick
wife.gif

but, HOW DO YOU KEEP SNACK STICKS FRESH?  Other than vacuum seal & freeze.

Searched & couldn't find anything!!

AL

Last edited:
Question Rick,

I just made me a storage can from a lg size coffee can,  now should I refrigerate it or just leave it in out?

al

I think you will be ok with the coffee tin. What i would do is put a few sticks in and see if you get any metal taste in the sticks.

You can do either. Non fridge shelf life will be approx 1 week as long as the temp in your house does not get very warm. My stick jar empties fast. Of course be looking for any molds on the surface (now if you used cure #2 i wouldnt worry about the time left out.)

So how does one make those snack sticks that seem to be impervious to time like we used to get at the local Swiss Colony back in the 70's?  They had 6' sections folded in half and looped over a stick open to the air all the time and I don't think I ever saw any go bad.

Last edited:
So how does one make those snack sticks that seem to be impervious to time like we used to get at the local Swiss Colony back in the 70's?  They had 6' sections folded in half and looped over a stick open to the air all the time and I don't think I ever saw any go bad.
Those were fake
icon_eek.gif

Like window dressing

laugh1.gif

Last edited:
Those were fake
icon_eek.gif

Like window dressing

laugh1.gif
Nope,  it was real.

I bought many a 6' length of that "rope" snack stick in the 70's.  I miss that stuff too.  It was dryer and had more snap & chew than the stuff I've had from home smokers (talking about round sticks not flat jerky). Not as dry and chewy as jerky, but not the texture of the usual home smoked and the photos I see here either.

I have no idea what the preservative was, but that stuff never went bad that I saw.

Local store closed in the early 80's and I have not seen the rope style anywhere else since.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky