Smouldering wood in a cold smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

howea

Original poster
Sep 6, 2021
For those cold smoking with wood logs, what size/method do you use?

My remote smoke generator is a hybrid that will burn a pellets/sawdust (in a maze) or wood in an underneath hearth
At least once a day, I will smoulder some hardwood (manuka or fruit wood) to give a distinctive smoky aroma and deep color

I am trying to find a sweet spot size that will generate smoke for a longer time (without going out), but also minimise the amount of heat.

You can see in the second photo I am now using pretty small splits (avg 1" x 5"). The shroud gets slightly warmer using wood
This results in an initial 4-6degree increase in cabinet temp, that settles down to about 1-2 degrees

I've tried much larger but the logs just go out, unless I sit in on a bed of embers (then the temp goes way up)

1685023091234.png
1685023448972.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky