Smothered Grilled NY!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nicely done Civil.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris!
Now that's a proper meal anytime !
Looks great civil!

Keith
Many thanks Keith! And I agree I would eat it any day of the week!
awesome looking meal!! thanks for sharing it!
Thanks thern!
Looks fantastic.. and I like your pan too! Can you elaborate on that?
Thanks kilo!

Oh the pan…… well we did a very bad thing….. it’s a Hexclad pan…. We got one to try for about the last 10 weeks and that caused us to get a set just before thanksgiving….. they have quickly replaced almost every pan in the kitchen (including our CIs) the exception is we still have our 3 ply stainless….. time will tell if they last, but so far I’m hook line and sinker……
I haven't had a grilled steak in far too long and those look fantastic! Thank you for the reminder... :emoji_laughing:
you are welcome! Thanks GS!
Again Civil, great cook and nice steaks and toppings

David
Much appreciation David! This was a hit with the fam and will be done again for sure!

Great looking meal there!
Thanks Brian!
Any American would be thrilled sitting down to that plate, nice work! RAY
Much appreciated Ray! 🇺🇸
That sure looks good!
Thanks SJ!
Oh my God!! That looks and sounds incredible. A truly amazing meal and a beautiful plate. You know me and steaks: I'd tear that up!!

Just Sunday? I think not :emoji_laughing: Seriously, that was an outstanding effort.

Robert
Thanks Robert! I think we could be twins on steak and out draw to them…… I till have memories of cooking a ribeye over the fire at 12 out camping as a Scout as others were eating canned Bennie wieners…… I just told them as I would eat that it was about being prepared……lol
da Bomb!
Strip is my go-to cut of beef.
Great for grilling or slicing for sandwiches.
Many thanks FA! I love NY….. and in fact whole NY will be replacing PR for Christmas this year!
That looks amazing! Oh man does that make me drool! I’d crush a plate and be in nap mode in no time! Great cook!
Thanks Jed! Oh just not you can seek the texture of the sauce that was thickened with starch…. A velvety syrup….. oh and a trick is if it gets to thick a bit more beef stock or Demi till it goes velvety!

Didn't know I was inspiring anyone when I made that comment, but yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Well done. Maybe not as pretty as a plate at a high end restaurant, but it actually has plenty of food on it. A plate to be proud of for sure, in my book!
Yes Sr your comments in the throwdown post was the inspiration! I did add chopped herbs on top, but these aren’t just for looks the fresh chopped herbs add incredible flavor…..

Reactions: DougE
Yes Sr your comments in the throwdown post was the inspiration! I did add chopped herbs on top, but these aren’t just for looks the fresh chopped herbs add incredible flavor…..
Maybe I do eat with my eyes first, as jcam222 jcam222 suggested, but maybe it means different things to different people. To me, it would be a loaded down plate I could back off from and save the rest for later, not so much a pretty little piece of meat with a little sauce striped across it and a little greenery strewn about lol

Reactions: civilsmoker
Oh the pan…… well we did a very bad thing….. it’s a Hexclad pan…. We got one to try for about the last 10 weeks and that caused us to get a set just before thanksgiving….. they have quickly replaced almost every pan in the kitchen (including our CIs) the exception is we still have our 3 ply stainless….. time will tell if they last, but so far I’m hook line and sinker……

Thank you for the feedback! I have seen these before and am interested for sure!

Thank you for the feedback! I have seen these before and am interested for sure!
You are welcome. I took a close up pic of the side and bottom. You actually season these before use, not a hard season like CI but a soft, you oil then heat for 3-5 minutes. If you look closely, you can see that the stainless-steel "hex" and "buttons" are raised, and it appears that the coating is hard coat anodization vs a nonstick coating. I've had hard coat anodization pans (still have a couple) and they are indestructible but not really nonstick. The cool thing about these is the hex and buttons create "oil" pockets (when you season the oil is absorbed in) and you use a bit of oil each cook. I have done sunny side up eggs and scallops as test runs and its interesting cause they have just have a little bit of stick but if you giggle them (I watched Gordon Ramsey show a chef on Hells Kitchen cooking scallops do this) and then it releases and it slides like perfect nonstick, but the "stickiness" adds to the sear. They also have an aluminum core, so they heat extremely uniform across the whole pan and sides and heat very rapidly.

For what it's worth Gordan Ramsey dumped his own brand of pans and gone all Hexclad on Hells Kitchen. It's about a 70/30 split of the chefs that use the Hexclad (70) vs a CI (30) for searing steaks on the show. A CI pan will hold the heat better but from my little bit of testing you can get a better sear with less carry over cooking than a CI pan. So sear and oven is a perfect way to cook with them. The last think I will say is I'm still not convinced on the longevity and durability of the coating... Need another 6-9 months of use but if they do, they will become our primary pan through the kitchen, that said we will always keep our 3-ply stainless and CI pans, but all the others will go.....

2947CC28-885C-450E-971F-983156E3CF8C.jpeg

Bottom
6A3740CD-5AD9-4305-801E-BD7BDEEFB6F8.jpeg

You are welcome. I took a close up pic of the side and bottom. You actually season these before use, not a hard season like CI but a soft, you oil then heat for 3-5 minutes. If you look closely, you can see that the stainless-steel "hex" and "buttons" are raised, and it appears that the coating is hard coat anodization vs a nonstick coating. I've had hard coat anodization pans (still have a couple) and they are indestructible but not really nonstick. The cool thing about these is the hex and buttons create "oil" pockets (when you season the oil is absorbed in) and you use a bit of oil each cook. I have done sunny side up eggs and scallops as test runs and its interesting cause they have just have a little bit of stick but if you giggle them (I watched Gordon Ramsey show a chef on Hells Kitchen cooking scallops do this) and then it releases and it slides like perfect nonstick, but the "stickiness" adds to the sear. They also have an aluminum core, so they heat extremely uniform across the whole pan and sides and heat very rapidly.

For what it's worth Gordan Ramsey dumped his own brand of pans and gone all Hexclad on Hells Kitchen. It's about a 70/30 split of the chefs that use the Hexclad (70) vs a CI (30) for searing steaks on the show. A CI pan will hold the heat better but from my little bit of testing you can get a better sear with less carry over cooking than a CI pan. So sear and oven is a perfect way to cook with them. The last think I will say is I'm still not convinced on the longevity and durability of the coating... Need another 6-9 months of use but if they do, they will become our primary pan through the kitchen, that said we will always keep our 3-ply stainless and CI pans, but all the others will go.....

View attachment 651079

Bottom
View attachment 651080

Thank you !!

Reactions: civilsmoker
Gravy! That's what that is right there...and it looks delicious!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan....I thought this would be up your alley! Its like a steak pot roast dinner, except it only takes 35 mins to cook and you get mid-rare beef..... just tasty for sure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky