Smothered Adobo Marinated Skirt Steaks (W Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
A couple folks have been beating me over the head to fire up the Santa Maria grill and get something cooking. Decided to try something different. Got a Certified Piedmontese Beef skirt steak out of the freezer, defrosted it, and applied a liberal coating of the Guajillo Adobo marinade. Then it was vac sealed and put in the fridge for several hours. Grill steaks and veggies on the SM grill, serve with refried beans and a salad. Won't bore you with a pic of the steak in the package or in the vac seal bag. I trust your imagination can figure out the details of that :emoji_wink: The idea was that I'd grill up some veggies Mexican style, cover the steaks with them, and melt a bunch of cheese over top. I've seen similar dishes served at our favorite Mexican restaurant...that we haven't been to for a couple of years now.

Veggies: onions, jalapenos, red bell peppers, and mushrooms. Toss with some garlic EVOO and guajillo pepper
100.jpg

Time to light a fire!! Mesquite is my favorite wood to use with the SM
102.jpg

Get the veggies on
103.jpg

Steaks out of the vac seal bags. I just love this Guajillo Adobo sauce!!
104.jpg

Time to put the steaks on the grill. Move veggies to the side to keep warm but not cook any more
105.jpg

Flip the steaks and pile on the veggies
107.jpg

Two slices of Vermont extra sharp white cheddar cheese on each steak
108.jpg

Cover with my new "pizza dome" that just got delivered today. Want to get the cheese melted without overcooking the steaks
109.jpg

Cheese melted nicely. Pic is a bit blurry but the next one looks nice
110.jpg

In the house to get happy for a few minutes
111.jpg

Plated with some refried beans and a salad dressed with my Texziki sauce dressing (more on that to come). Steaks were perfectly cooked, and I am realy looking forward to tearing into this.
112.jpg

Second plated shot
113.jpg

I was very. very happy with the way this dinner turned out. Nice deep rich flavor from the marinade, fresh and vibrant notes from the veggies, and what's not to love about melted cheddar cheese? Now a bit more on that Texziki dressing. When I saw the thread about the Leg of Lamb Gyros, I knew I had to make them. I've loved gyros since I was a kid but have not had one in several years. Tracy isn't a big fan of lamb but I figured all beef wouldn't be a travesty by any means. To me the star of a great gyro has always been the tzatziki sauce. I figured if I could come up with a good sauce, I'd be fine. Did some reading and commenced to make some. It came out really well so did the gyros with CPB flank steak. Shared that meal in a private conversation and was teasingly told that I needed to make a Texas gyro with Texziki sauce. Sounded good to me so I went about thinking how to do that. Came up with an idea and made some. Lordy lordy it was good!! You got a nice Texas spice tingle and fresh pepper flavor but still all the cool, refreshing, vibrant notes of the original tzatziki sauce. I was in love. Had a bit of the sauce left over from the Texas gyros so added a splash of buttermilk to it and used it as the dressing for these salads. What's interesting is that Tracy dressed her salad with it also. She rarely if ever uses dressing but she liked that Texziki sauce so much, she just had to try some. Oh well, thanks for dropping in. This was a really fun meal to prepare, cook, and eat. I enjoyed it immensely.

Gonna do this one again,
Robert

First class meal my friend... looks amazing! That plated shot looks way better than some crap you would get from a Mexican restaurant. Once again glad to see the SM fired back up! Hoping to see this one spinning as deserved!

First class meal my friend... looks amazing! That plated shot looks way better than some crap you would get from a Mexican restaurant. Once again glad to see the SM fired back up! Hoping to see this one spinning as deserved!

Thanks so much John. It was a blast firing up the SM again. Only been used once since getting the Rec Tec but it's a rejuvenated love affair!! That grill is just a blast to use and cooking over an open fire, especially with mesquite, creates flavors you just can't get with any other cooker.

Robert

Dang it! Every time that I read Robert’s threads, it just reminds me how deficient my cooking skills are:emoji_angry:. Well done, sir!

Skills? I have absolutely zero cooking skills but thank you for the kind words. Our good friend chef jimmyj chef jimmyj , now that man has cooking skills!! I'm just a back yard bum with a good imagination that gets lucky once in a while putting stuff together for a meal.

Setting the record straight :emoji_laughing:
Robert

Reactions: Mastercaster
Looks delicious!

Thank you Jake. Appreciate it. On a different note, unless I've missed something I don't think I've seen you post anything recently. You saving up for the massive feast you're gonna drop on us?

waiting....
Robert

looks fantastic Robert, after seeing all your cooks I wish we were neighbors.

Well come on down Jim!! Texas is a big place, there's lots of room for you, and the door is always open. Thanks so much for the kind words sir.

Robert

Thanks Robert. Don't sell yourself short! You are actually more creative than me. There is nothing I can't cook but I struggle with coming up with something new...JJ

You are actually more creative than me.

Thank you my friend. The creativity stems from the imagination I mentioned...and a lot of inspiration from people here. As stated though, I just get lucky once in a while. Like we used to say when I was on the golf course all the time: "I'd rather be lucky than good any day"

FORE!!
Robert

All looks Fantastic, Robert!!
Nice Job!
Like.
Only change I'd make is to cook the onions harder, but that's because of my allergy!!
Looks Mighty Tasty!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky