Smoky, umami jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sack1971

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Grey Eagle, MN
Can someone recommend a dehydrated beef jerky recipe that has a nice umami flavor. Maybe even uses some smoked paprika? Nothing overly spicy. Thanks

Soy sauce will give you the umami hit. For dehydrated jerky. I use liquid smoke. 3 tsp per 5 pounds of meat.
5 pounds london broil sliced thin against the grain
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup soy sauce
3 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
1.5 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes. You can add the hot paprika instead of the pepper flakes.
1 tsp cure
mix marinade.
Soak overnight.
Dehydrate
When done. Let cool on the counter before putting in a bag or container.
Even with cure. I still store it in the fridge.
Some folks add fish sauce to the marinade.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
No recipe, but things that will add that umami flavor for you:

- mushroom powder
- tomato paste/powder
- soy sauce
- Worcestershire
- MSG
- fish sauce
- Maggi seasoning

Take any one of your favorite jerky recipes as add some or all of those to it.

I don't have ratios, but for my "Umami-Bomb Burgers" I use a blend of tomato powder, smoked garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce powder, mushroom powder, ground mustard, MSG, salt, pepper, and a splash of Wooster and fish sauce. Would make a pretty good jerky marinade, could use paste/liquid form of soy and tomato instead of powder for jerky. Add cure, heat (chili flakes or powder) and liquid smoke (optional) to that and you're off to the umami races.

Hope that helps. I may or may not be off to dig a round roast out of the freezer to try this out now...

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky