Smokn-it 3 Racks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walta

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
St Louis MO
It is time to upgrade smokers from a MES30 we are trying to decide between a Smokn-it 2 and 3.

We are thinking of getting the 3 but the 21inch depth has me wondering about ease of accessibility.

Will we use the extra depth reaching thru seems like something I am unlikely to do?

Do the racks of the Model 3 slide out, like the racks of a wall oven do, with an upper stop so that you could pull it out while loaded and it won’t tip?

Walta

I have the Smokin-It 2D and I really wish I'd bought the 3D.

It's a really nice smoker but doesn't hold very much.

The racks do slide out and there is a stop (of sorts) but it is way too easy to completely pull the shelf all the way out. It is not quite the same as an oven and the racks will tip when pulled out. The further you pull out the more they tip. That said, I have a Smokin' It 2 and have used it A LOT. They are great smokers for the money and I think you'll enjoy it.

As far as the extra depth; my current smoker is 22 inches front to back and I rarely use the extra depth. Reaching through is to the back seems like a PITA to me. But pulling the racks towards you does mitigate that somewhat.

I have a #3 and very glad I went with the #3 over the #2.
I use the full depth of the racks every time I do ribs and jerky. I like being able to cook the full length of ribs in the #3. You have to cut ribs in half to fit the #2.
If I'm in the middle of a smoke and have to turn or reposition something, I just pull the rack partially out and use tongs or a fork to get to the back. I've never thought it was to deep. You do have to be careful to not pull the rack out to far, but I haven't lost anything to the dog yet.

BTW- MES 30 smoker racks fit in the #3 with just a little overlap if you put 2 in the same slot.

I order my new Smokn-it 3 today

It was a tuff choice as someone on Craigs list in St Louis has a model 2 only ask $175 and willing to come down.

Thanks for the help making my choice.

Walta

I'm sure you'll be happy with the #3.
I just picked up a Smokin Tex 1400 for $100 off of Craigslist . (I got it for a friend's birthday next month, couldn't pass it up at that price.) It is almost the same as a #2 from what I can see. Smoked a turkey breast in it today. turned out nice.
But I like the extra room the #3 gives me, the insulation is better in the #3 (outside stays a lot cooler on the #3, the casters are bigger for the #3, the Tex has no rails to hold the drip pan, and the heat on indicator light on Smokin-It is a nice extra. So having been able to compare similar smokers, I have no regrets getting the #3 over the #2.

Last edited:
I'm debating between the 2, 2D and 3. Any recommendations on the value of a "D" compared to either the 2 or 3?

A D model has a 1 year warranty on the D controller and 3 years on the rest of the smoker. The analog models are covered 100% by a 3 year warranty. If you can live with a max box temp of 250 degrees, stick with the digital and get the 3. If you want to go higher, to 300 degrees, then you need the D model and are limited only by your budget.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky