Smoking Wood is burning black smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ImTotallyNotAFreeganVegan

Original poster
Jul 27, 2019
Hello fellow 'smokers',

I'm struggling with keeping temperatures between 250-300 F without causing black smoke from the wood burning. I have a 'Old Smokey' bbq that I set up with water pans, snake method charcoal and all sorts of tricks. Yet still find it difficult to maintain low temp with clean burning wood. Any suggestions/tips? (I'd appreciate anything at this point, having ruined 2 short ribs from a sour and disgusting taste on the bark of the ribs)

exhaust stack wide open and maybe cut back on the wood amount? what type of wood?

Try adding an upper air inlet....

Smoker Exh and Intakes 2.jpg

Are you talking about the Old Smokey that looks like 2 wash tubs ? The charcoal grate is solid like a pizza pan with holes in it ?
If so , I have never used one but like the idea of them . I have seen guys buy a smaller regular wire charcoal grate . Add mounting lugs under the stock charcoal grate to hold the wire one . They build the fire on the smaller wire grate and the stock one becomes a diffuser . I've always thought the air flow would be poor in the stock set up , but like I said I never used one .

Black smoke usually indicates a contaminated fuel source. A forest fire is thick white smoke, a dump fire can be black depending whats burning. Any chance your fuel has been contaminated?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky